To Transaction or Not to Transaction that is the question
Author Message
 To Transaction or Not to Transaction that is the question

I have an application that I am writing that will run on three servers at
three separate location, about 30 miles apart. It is a simple Jet DataBase
and will only support 12000 clients but certain aspects of the tables can
be 200,000 records deep.  Because of security issues I can not convince the
client to use an IntraNet so a common database is out.  It is important
that the data be updated atleast once a day I feel, especially to the one
site that is responsible for integrating and making sense of all the data
and doing the final operations.

My first thought is to write all the com and a transaction file that would
update the other two sites(the other two sites being different depending on
what site you are working from), this has the potential to get messy with
additions and deletions.  But if properly implemented, even though there
will be mega processing time it will all happen in the middle of the night
so it will not impact the users. The more I work with it the messier it
appears.

Question 1:
  Is this kind of operation suitable for the Transaction Server(never
having opened the package, I am not even interested if not appropriate.

Question2:
Should we be talking an Sql Server.  I have tried to structure things for
some flexibility here, not knowing how this would fall out.  If so what is
a good one that will run with a Novell 3.2, it would be an easier question
if it was NT, I understand.  I am not so sure it addresses all the issues.

With out  getting into tremendous detail, is there a source that you can
point to that will help me with these issues.

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

2. Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

3. ADODB TRANSACTION ADO ERROR No Transaction is Active

4. Reqiured Transaction and Required New Transaction

5. Cannot connect to the transaction manager or the transaction (-2147168229)

6. ADODB TRANSACTION ADO ERROR No Transaction is Active

7. ADO Connection Transaction vs. ObjectContext Transaction

8. ADOConnection.Transaction vs. ObjectContext.Transaction

9. Transaction In Transaction

10. COM+ question: SetAbort not rolling back transaction?

11. When to use MTS transactions and ADO Transactions

12. Am I asking to much of transaction handling?