help w/ VB5 & sql 6.5 app
Author Message
 help w/ VB5 & sql 6.5 app

I'm relatively new to c/s development w/ sql server.. I'm working with 3
different 6.5 servers, 2 are running sp3 and one is running sp5 (to see if
the service pack fixed my problem, it didn't). This problem occurs with all
3 servers.

I have a view which pulls together data from about 5 different tables..
Doing queries from the view within isql works fine in all cases.. The view
works okay in my VB project, except in 2 cases opening a recordset dies with
about 200 errors, with the following ones repeating:

01S01: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Error in row
S1000: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unknown token received from SQL
Server
01S01: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Error in row
S1000: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Protocol error in TDS stream

In my VB app, I'm using odbcdirect through DAO (vb5 pro). When the error
occurs, I'm just building a SQL statement based on data the user entered..
The code for the view is:

create view vwHelpMain as
select c.*, p.name, p.phone, d.dept_name, l.loc_name
from calls c, people p, call_types ct, departments d, locations l
where c.per_id = p.person_id and c.type_id = ct.ptype_id
and p.dept_id = d.department_id and p.loc_id = l.location_id

All of the _id fields are defined as either smallints or tinyints.

What is driving me crazy is that a SQL statement that causes these errors in
the VB app runs as expected in isql.. Such a query is:

select * from vwhelpmain where rep_id = 87 order by call_id

This leads me to believe that the problem is on the VB side.. A strange
coincidence is that both fields that cause the problem are obtained from a
listbox, where the id has been stored in the .itemdata property. Again,
though, pasting the same sql into ISQL works!

Any help/ideas would be appreciated, this one has stumped me for weeks!

Thanks

Brian

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 help w/ VB5 & sql 6.5 app
Updating ODBC and the ODBC drivers should solve your issue. Use the
mdac_typ.exe that ships with SQL Server SP5a and SQL Server 7.0

-GertD

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CONFLICT: sql 6.5 client & vb5

2. VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

3. VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

4. Help - VB5 / SQL 6.5 / Access 97

5. VB 6.0 & SQl server 6.5

6. VB & SQL Server 6.5 Contract

7. RDO, BLOB & SQL 6.5

8. Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

9. SQL 6.5 & NT 3.51 VB Problem (GPF)

10. pdssql.dll missing & SQL 6.5 / RDO problems

11. pdssql.dll missing & SQL 6.5 / RDO problems

12. VB 6.0 & SQL Server 6.5