4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
Author Message
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance

Hi,

I am planning a program using vb6 as a front end and jet database on back
end.

13 users on clients.

The jet database will be required to hold 4000 records with details of real
estate properties.

Another jet database will hold a maximum of 4000 graphics of the properties(
or possibly pointers to a
jpegs of the properties)

There will be a maximum of 4000 records in the graphics database and 4000
records in the database
holding text details of the properties  at any one time.

Is this too much for  a jet database. If so, what is the maximum recomended?

If this is too much, does anyone have any tips as to how to get around this?

Thanks

Jonathan

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.*-*-*.com/ - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
I developed a commercial database application that holds over 500,000
records linked to 100,000 address records and 250,000 vehicle records.  JET
over a network with 20 clients - NO PROBLEM.

I have another JET database which holds 10,000 records linked to a MS VB6
app.
Searching the 10,000 records using SQL is so quick on the system, the grid
is filled with the resulting recordset as soon as the button is clicked.

4,000 records would be no problem!!!!!

Craig

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am planning a program using vb6 as a front end and jet database on back
>end.

>13 users on clients.

>The jet database will be required to hold 4000 records with details of real
>estate properties.

>Another jet database will hold a maximum of 4000 graphics of the
properties(
>or possibly pointers to a
>jpegs of the properties)

>There will be a maximum of 4000 records in the graphics database and 4000
>records in the database
>holding text details of the properties  at any one time.

>Is this too much for  a jet database. If so, what is the maximum
recomended?

>If this is too much, does anyone have any tips as to how to get around
this?

>Thanks

>Jonathan

>*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here

(tm) ***

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
I'm assuming that you are using a number of indexes.  I am also dealing with
large databases 75,000+records + 1m+ child records, and am trying to come up
with a fast method to populate a grid.  The users will be moving from a
green screen where access to a table of like named records is immediate.
Any pointers you have would be appreciated

Mick O'Rourke

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
I find that if you use indexes for every field - then searching using sql on
any number of the fields is very quick.

There is a slight penalty when creating records, but I have found that it is
not even noticed by the user.  It is so small it's not worth bothering
about.

The real key to the speed factor is database design.  I find that with large
database projects the database structure will change hundreds of times.  I
also spend a lot of time experimenting and changing the way I load forms in
a project.  This can have a big impact on speed.

Creating the realtionships and tuning sql queries - all help to improve
performance.
Experiment with the various database access methods.  I find that some of
the grids with VB6 for example populate far slower than others.

Cheers
Craig

Quote:

>I'm assuming that you are using a number of indexes.  I am also dealing
with
>large databases 75,000+records + 1m+ child records, and am trying to come
up
>with a fast method to populate a grid.  The users will be moving from a
>green screen where access to a table of like named records is immediate.
>Any pointers you have would be appreciated

>Mick O'Rourke

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
I've created a sql query wherein I only begin the serach on  lName after 3
characters of the name is typed.  This populates a grid from where the user
may slect the appropriate record.  This has speeded the query up
tremendously.  Additionally I have the index based on last name and
firstname.

Mick

Quote:
>I find that if you use indexes for every field - then searching using sql
on
>any number of the fields is very quick.

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 4000 records in Jet Database Effects on Performance
I agree somewhat...however the number of concurrent users seems to have
a lot of influence on the speed as well.

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 4000 records in Jet Database

2. Error while modifing a record whilch has a column of 4000 varchar

3. Copying records from jet database to a new jet database

4. Jet DB Performance (Jet 3.51 vs. Jet 4.0)

5. VB5 performance to JET database is awful!

6. VB5 performance to JET database is awful

7. ORA-01461: updating a recordset with 2 varchar2(4000) fields

8. ORA-01461: updating a recordset with 2 varchar2(4000) fields

9. 4000 A.D. play-by-email game (VB6)

10. problem printing on laserjet 4000

11. Paper size on HP LaserJet 4000 printer problem when printing from Crystal Reports

12. ORA-01461: updating a recordset with 2 varchar2(4000) fields