visual basic vs visual foxpro debate
Author Message
 visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

We are having a raging internal debate at work.  We MUST move our
office from DOS/c into the Windows 95/NT visual development world.  We
are working on selecting the programming and database platform.  One
faction wants to write our new system(s) with Visual Basic Pro 4.0 using
Btrieve 6.15 as the database (our legacy data is in Btrieve 5.10).  The
other faction wants to use Visual Foxpro Pro 3.0 and its xbase database
(we have no xbase data or programming legacy).  For various contractual
reasons we can not use SQL for these applications.  We expect the number
of records will be between 500,000 and 1 million; and there will be
about 12 indexes.  The record will have 30 to 60 fields.

    We are concerned with various issues like file access speed, data
file size limitations, data and index file integrity, field entry and
entry screen validations/controls/tests, options for user/adhoc reports,
ease of development effort and so on.

   Can anyone give me some pros and cons?
   Are there any articles/reviews discussing any strengths and
weaknesses?

thanks,

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

Quote:

> We are having a raging internal debate at work.  We MUST move our
> office from DOS/c into the Windows 95/NT visual development world.  We
> are working on selecting the programming and database platform.  One
> faction wants to write our new system(s) with Visual Basic Pro 4.0 using
> Btrieve 6.15 as the database (our legacy data is in Btrieve 5.10).  The
> other faction wants to use Visual Foxpro Pro 3.0 and its xbase database
> (we have no xbase data or programming legacy).  For various contractual
> reasons we can not use SQL for these applications.  We expect the number

We had a similar debate a few months ago, however SQL for us is OK. The answer for
us was that Foxpro may be slightly faster than VB (for us, with Access/SQL vs
Foxpro/Rushmore), but that VB gives us much more control over the UI of our app. It
also enables us to more quickly develop the app. We had two developers, one
experienced in VB, the other in Foxpro, both develop a simple app. The VB guy
finished in two days, but the Foxpro guy was still chugging away after five.

-Joe

--
http://www.sover.net/~jlion/

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

2. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

3. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

4. Visual Basic vs. Visual Foxpro

5. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

6. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

7. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

8. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

9. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

10. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

11. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

12. Visual Baisc vs Visual Foxpro