VB/Crystal Report app for a time/talent survey
Author Message
 VB/Crystal Report app for a time/talent survey

Here's the deal.  My objective is to design, develop and release to my
organization an application within 1 month.

That app is going to be a combination data entry/DB/report generation
package.  The incoming data is going to be unique id (family name), comment
box, and check boxes for a time/talent survey which is currently a paper
form with the family's data on it.  (Future releases may include an on-line
form which is emailed and deciphered from the inbox).

I'm looking for your assistance in determining what tools to buy so I can
develop a custom solution for my church.  I'm ready to buy VB4/VB5,
Enterprise or professional edition.  I just need some guidance as to which
will help to meet the following requirements.

Requirements...

0. 1 month turn around time working 5-10 hrs/wk (I have existing VB4/SQL
knowledge from my day job)

1. Novice computer users entering data on Win95 or Win3.1 machines (church
secretaries)

2. Easy backup of data

3. Easy install/uninstall of final app (my Mom always said leave it like
you found it)

4. Ability to generate and print out reports (Crystal Report?? of which I
have 0 experience)

5. 16 and 32 bit development (see #1)

PS:  If you're interested in banging on the first release, drop me a line.
I plan to make this app free to churches and other organizations initially.

Please post responses to this news thread and also drop me an e-mail listed
in my .signature.  Your input is appreciated.

--
Charles A. Jaeger
President of Jaeger & Associates                   vm: (919) 558-8203

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Crystal Report app for a time/talent survey

Quote:
> Here's the deal.  My objective is to design, develop and release to my
> organization an application within 1 month.

> That app is going to be a combination data entry/DB/report generation
> package.  The incoming data is going to be unique id (family name),
comment
> box, and check boxes for a time/talent survey which is currently a paper
> form with the family's data on it.  (Future releases may include an
on-line
> form which is emailed and deciphered from the inbox).

This is just my thought but you may be better off getting a copy of MS
Access version 2 and using the form and table objects in it as well as the
report and query functions. Linking these objects together with Access
basic (similar to VB) or the macros within.

this option.

Regards Undertaker

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Crystal Report app for a time/talent survey

Don't want to discourage you, but 5-10 hrs a week for a month would
only give you enough time to plan what you want to design and select
the tool.

Quote:

>Here's the deal.  My objective is to design, develop and release to my
>organization an application within 1 month.
>That app is going to be a combination data entry/DB/report generation
>package.  The incoming data is going to be unique id (family name), comment
>box, and check boxes for a time/talent survey which is currently a paper
>form with the family's data on it.  (Future releases may include an on-line
>form which is emailed and deciphered from the inbox).
>I'm looking for your assistance in determining what tools to buy so I can
>develop a custom solution for my church.  I'm ready to buy VB4/VB5,
>Enterprise or professional edition.  I just need some guidance as to which
>will help to meet the following requirements.
>Requirements...
>0. 1 month turn around time working 5-10 hrs/wk (I have existing VB4/SQL
>knowledge from my day job)
>1. Novice computer users entering data on Win95 or Win3.1 machines (church
>secretaries)
>2. Easy backup of data
>3. Easy install/uninstall of final app (my Mom always said leave it like
>you found it)
>4. Ability to generate and print out reports (crystal report?? of which I
>have 0 experience)
>5. 16 and 32 bit development (see #1)
>PS:  If you're interested in banging on the first release, drop me a line.
>I plan to make this app free to churches and other organizations initially.
>Please post responses to this news thread and also drop me an e-mail listed
>in my .signature.  Your input is appreciated.
>--
>Charles A. Jaeger
>President of Jaeger & Associates                   vm: (919) 558-8203

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Crystal Report app for a time/talent survey

Since you need an app which runs on Win3.1, you'll need VB4.0 (unless
you upgrade to Win95).  Designing the program may not take too long,
but getting it to work reliably (debugging) always take longer than
planned.  I've had troubles with the Crystal Reports that ships with
VB4.0.  The Uninstall program also isn't too swift, it messed up the
system registry on a few NT and 95 systems at work.  I hope this
doesn't discourage you, since your app sounds very doable.   I would
recommend using VB5.0 Professional with Crystal Rpts Professional and
upgrading the PC's to Win95.  I think this will keep your headaches to
a minimum.

Good Luck,

-TMatt

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Two App's hanging using Crystal Reports at same time

2. Adding several reports to vb app with crystal report 6.0 designer

3. Why using crystal reports long time to unload app

4. Seagate Crystal Reports Customer Survey

5. LA company SEEKS full-time ACTIVEX talent

6. Need help with Date/Time issue in Crystal/Access/VB app

7. VB 6.0, Crystal Reports, getting date/time from Oracle 8.0

8. Crystal Reports and My VB app

9. Crystal Reports, Date/Time, and the Time() function

10. Crystal Report and VB App Deploy

11. Crystal Reports 8.5 (VB6) to Crystal Reports NET (VB.NET) conversion

12. vb .net crystal reports not compatible with Crystal Reports 8.5