Database connection with SQL server
Author Message
 Database connection with SQL server

Hello,

Currently I'm able to connect my VB 5 application to my SQL 7 database.
The problem comes when I want to update data. The systems gives me error
3027 (Database or object is read-only).
I checked the database and put everything as far as possible to read and
write.
What am I doing wrong?

Greetings,

Martijn Joosen

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:09:12 GMT
 Database connection with SQL server
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:09:12 +0200, "Martijn Joosen"

Quote:

>Hello,

>Currently I'm able to connect my VB 5 application to my SQL 7 database.
>The problem comes when I want to update data. The systems gives me error
>3027 (Database or object is read-only).
>I checked the database and put everything as far as possible to read and
>write.
>What am I doing wrong?

>Greetings,

>Martijn Joosen

It may depend on your Open parameters. adReadOnly will not allow you
to update data

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:27:17 GMT
 Database connection with SQL server
I would encourrage you do updates to the data directly, not editing a
recordset, but firing updates via storedprocedures and the ADO command
object.

      Good Luck

Quote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:09:12 +0200, "Martijn Joosen"

> >Hello,

> >Currently I'm able to connect my VB 5 application to my SQL 7 database.
> >The problem comes when I want to update data. The systems gives me error
> >3027 (Database or object is read-only).
> >I checked the database and put everything as far as possible to read and
> >write.
> >What am I doing wrong?

> >Greetings,

> >Martijn Joosen

> It may depend on your Open parameters. adReadOnly will not allow you
> to update data

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:48:40 GMT
 Database connection with SQL server
Isn't that going to depend on what they're  updating?

Updating via recordsets is very easy and for "small" updates/inserts there's
not much of a performance difference.

Quote:

>I would encourrage you do updates to the data directly, not editing a
>recordset, but firing updates via storedprocedures and the ADO command
>object.

>      Good Luck

>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:09:12 +0200, "Martijn Joosen"

>> >Hello,

>> >Currently I'm able to connect my VB 5 application to my SQL 7 database.
>> >The problem comes when I want to update data. The systems gives me error
>> >3027 (Database or object is read-only).
>> >I checked the database and put everything as far as possible to read and
>> >write.
>> >What am I doing wrong?

>> >Greetings,

>> >Martijn Joosen

>> It may depend on your Open parameters. adReadOnly will not allow you
>> to update data

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:20:30 GMT
 Database connection with SQL server
I agree. I have used both, and both have their places. Just because SQL
Server offers tools, it doesn't necessarily follow that these are the best
tools to use in all cases. Recordsets can be terribly useful devices.

That said, the nice thing about using a stored procedure is that, if it
becomes necessary to change the command, you can simply change the stored
procedure and don't have to redistribute the entire application.

Jim

Quote:
> Isn't that going to depend on what they're  updating?

> Updating via recordsets is very easy and for "small" updates/inserts
there's
> not much of a performance difference.

> >I would encourrage you do updates to the data directly, not editing a
> >recordset, but firing updates via storedprocedures and the ADO command
> >object.

> >      Good Luck

> >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:09:12 +0200, "Martijn Joosen"

> >> It may depend on your Open parameters. adReadOnly will not allow you
> >> to update data

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:50:16 GMT

1. DAO database connection to SQL Server

2. Connection problems to SQL server database

3. Active X Document / SQL Server Database Connection

4. Connection to remote SQL Server database?

5. App opening 3 connections to SQL Server database

6. ADO connection to remote SQL-Server database refused

7. ADO - DSN less connection to SQL server Database

8. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

9. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

10. SQL Server connections not closing when Access connection also open

11. List SQL Server Servers, Databases and Tables

12. Multiple Winsock-Connections to a server AND Winsock-Connection to a server minimized in systray