Binary Data Files
Author Message
 Binary Data Files

Hiya all....

I am looking for some code samples of Binary data files in VB.  The VB
manuals are very sketchy on this subject, as is the KB.

The Data Control would add too much complexity and size to my application.
I need to store a relatively small amount of data, but it it is all in
variable-length records of 1 character to 32K, making random access
unusable as well.

If anyone knows of some good samples.....I would appreciate it
tremendously.

Ivan

Fri, 23 May 1997 16:10:02 GMT
 Binary Data Files

Copied from VB Knowledge Base, Quote:

INF: Summary of Sample Applications on the ODK
Article ID: Q118817

 - Professional Edition of Microsoft Visual Basic Programming System
   for Windows, version 3.0
 - The Microsoft Office Developer's Kit, version 1.0

SUMMARY
=======

The Microsoft Office Developer's Kit (ODK) includes several useful samples
for Visual Basic Programmers. This article summarizes the sample
applications included in the ODK.

MORE INFORMATION
================
OLEDB: Demonstrates Storing and Retrieving OLE Objects in a Database

The OLEDB sample application is a Microsoft Visual Basic version 3.0
program that demonstrates OLE functionality by manipulating data access
objects. OLEDB allows you to add, delete, view, and edit OLE objects in a
Microsoft Access database. The database can contain Word documents,
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, wave files, bitmaps, text files, and so on.

OLEDB demonstrates the use of the Visual Basic GetChunk() and AppendChunk()
methods to store and retrieve large amounts of data in a Microsoft Access
binary field. The OLEDB.BAS file contains reusable Visual Basic routines
for storing and retrieving OLE objects, files, or any other data.

OLEDB was built using Microsoft Visual Basic version 3.0.

UnQuote.

It had a couple of decent routines to suck entire files into OLE fields
using GetChunk and AppendChunk.  Performance is pretty good too.

Good luck,
Don

Quote:

>Hiya all....

>I am looking for some code samples of Binary data files in VB.  The VB
>manuals are very sketchy on this subject, as is the KB.

>The Data Control would add too much complexity and size to my application.
>I need to store a relatively small amount of data, but it it is all in
>variable-length records of 1 character to 32K, making random access
>unusable as well.

>If anyone knows of some good samples.....I would appreciate it
>tremendously.

>Ivan

Sat, 24 May 1997 02:11:05 GMT

1. Write ADO Field containing binary data (files) to the file system

2. Binary Data File?

3. Binary data files - are these "secure"?

4. Binary Data File?

6. Any way I can create/read/write Binary Data Files for saving data via VB without using Any Database Engine or Access Database ?

7. How to put large binary data files into a DB via ODBC ?

8. Binary Data in SQL 2000/Conver to Bitmap Data For Data Grid View

9. Write image data as binary to append existing file

10. Write data in binary file / Convert Image

11. Moving Binary Data between files fast!

12. Moving Binary data between files quickly.