Help?! VB5 project - which database to use??
Author Message
 Help?! VB5 project - which database to use??

Well, the built-in database engine is the same engine that
Access uses.  In other words, you can use databases created in
Access from VB, and vice versa.  So there's actually no
difference here, and this engine should be adequate for your
purposes.

Still, you might want to look at Access for creating your
database, so you won't have to do it all programatically.  It's
the great designer front-end that Access gives you that's
really valuable, especially the query designer, which can save
you some SQL coding.

Quote:
> I have just started to learn Visual Basic 5 and don't know
much about it
> yet, but it seems to me that my project could proceed a lot
better if I
> get one major point out of the way.  I am going to write a
program for
> public distribution that will permit users to access a
database both in
> a webpage on the Internet, as well as off-line on their own
hard drive.
> The database won't be complicated (no math calculations) but
it will be
> large -- hundreds of megabytes.  I've been advised that the
program can
> be written with VB5 which I've started studying.  My question
is whether
> the database engine which is included in VB5 would seem
adequate for my
> purposes, or should I also purchase M.S. Access to work on
the database
> portion separately.

> I'd appreciate a response because I don't want to spend a lot
of time
> trying to learn the database engine only to then turn around
and buy
> Access (which I presume is different at least insofar as the
programming
> aspects are concerned).

> I'll be grateful for any help that I can get.  Thanks.
> --
> PLEASE NOTE: if you send a reply or copy any posting to my
e-mail
> address, you should first remove any NO_SPAM_ leader that
might
> have been added to it; sorry for any inconvenience.  Thank
you.
>                                                   Bill Velek

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

My question is whether

Quote:
> the database engine which is included in VB5 would seem adequate for my
> purposes, or should I also purchase M.S. Access to work on the database
> portion separately.

MS Access has the exact same database engine as Visual Basic.  If you have
the enterprise version of VB, then you have the runtime version of both VB
and the database engine.  Access is not a strong multi-user database
engine, nor is it fast with large databases, you may want to consider a
more robust multi-user database engine like Oterro, http://www.oterro.com.

Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Incomplete Project Need Help (VB5 - Project Attached)

2. Urgent Help needed : Web Database Connectivity using VB5

3. VB5 using OLE Automation on MS Access database -- Help

4. Opening VB6 database project in VB5

5. Database functions not working on new VB5 projects

6. Opening VB6 database project in VB5

7. using vb6 controls in vb5 project

8. Using vb6 Projects in vb5

9. Changing OCX control used by a VB5 project

10. How to convert VB3 project to vb5 project?

11. Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider

12. Help! VB5(SP3) projects won't load