Upgrading Paradox DOS to VB
Author Message
 Upgrading Paradox DOS to VB

I wrote some years ago and still maintain a number of fairly complicated,
single-user, Paradox DOS 4.5 apps. It is time to upgrade them to Windows. I
am leaning towards using VB, although no final decision is made. I have had
a play around with and old VB version 3, and am quite impressed, although it
is fairly weak on databses. I know they are up to V6 now.
But, I have a question:

Does VB 6 have a built-in databse? Or do I also have to buy MS Access?
Presumably I could continue to use the old Paradox 4.5 data tables, which I
may have to in some cases, but I think it would be better to convert the
tables to 32-bit.

Sat, 15 May 2004 18:56:34 GMT
 Upgrading Paradox DOS to VB
Sorry, Visual Basic v6 DOES NOT contain a database. It is a powerful
visual programming language used to create front-end applications for
small databases, such as MSAccess, to the large commercial databases,
such as Oracle.

The Enterprise Edition of Visual Studio provides most of the drivers you
will need, compiles your application, and creates the deployment package
with the OCX, DLL, ICO etc files your application requires. There are no
licensing problems with EXE distribution

If you are going to distribute an application WITH a database, any
database, check the licensing requirements. I'm quite sure you will need
to provide each client with their own licensed copy of MSAccess. It's
simply included with, and added to the cost, of your upgrade.

As to whether you can use Paradox 4.5 tables, if you can connect to it
via ODBC or OLE-DB than the answer is a probably. Search MS's
knowledgebase at http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp, and check
the internet for VB+PARADOX information.

Sat, 15 May 2004 22:13:14 GMT
 Upgrading Paradox DOS to VB
Stephen,

Just a few answers maybe,

VB6 is much stronger on database access than VB3, essentially you will
have to choose an approach from Data Access Objects (DAO) or Activex
Data Objects (ADO), the latter is more recent and has better support
for client/server databases such as Oracle/SQL Server, it's probably
the best choice for a new project but many people (including many
posters in this group) argue that DAO is faster for accessing local
database files.  Overall I would say if you have any intention of ever
using a server based database then go for ADO.

You are not obliged to buy a copy of Access since all the support
needed to use Microsoft Jet (which is the data engine behind Access
databases) is included with VB6, however you would find a copy of
MS-Access useful if you decide to go with a Jet based database since
you can use it for setting up the database file.  Your users will not
need MS-Access installed since all the necessary support can be
distributed with VB6 runtime.

You can access your Paradox tables through ODBC but in my opinion you
are right to import them into a new database since that will give you
the most efficient access to the data.  I'm not sure what level of
Paradox support you will get, I know that Microsoft only support
Paradox through ODBC up to a certain level.  Sorry to be vague here,
I've had problems reading Paradox for Windows version 8 data using the
MS ODBC drivers but I would imagine DOS V4.5 would be OK.  It's just
possible you may need to pay for updated drivers.

Hope this helps, good luck with the conversion.

Richard Brookes

Quote:

> I wrote some years ago and still maintain a number of fairly complicated,
> single-user, Paradox DOS 4.5 apps. It is time to upgrade them to Windows. I
> am leaning towards using VB, although no final decision is made. I have had
> a play around with and old VB version 3, and am quite impressed, although it
> is fairly weak on databses. I know they are up to V6 now.
> But, I have a question:

> Does VB 6 have a built-in databse? Or do I also have to buy MS Access?
> Presumably I could continue to use the old Paradox 4.5 data tables, which I
> may have to in some cases, but I think it would be better to convert the
> tables to 32-bit.

Sat, 15 May 2004 22:51:15 GMT

1. VB and Paradox 4.5 for DOS

2. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and VB 3.0

3. Paradox 3.5 and VB for MS Dos

4. VB DOS Upgrade?

5. Paradox 3.5 Dos / Access 97 ...

6. Help with V/B and Paradox for Dos 4.5

7. Paradox 4.0 (DOS)

8. Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems with CR6

9. Writing to stdout/DOS window from VB DOS exe

10. Calling VB pgm from DOS, thence exiting to DOS after a CHDIR

11. VB 6 To VB .NET OLE Upgrade Problems

12. Upgrade to VB 5.0 or VB 6.0?