high school network problem
Author Message
 high school network problem

hello, my name is albi and i'm a high school teacher trying to install a
program into the schools network...unfortunately i'm having problems
...i made  a  program in VB5 which makes use of an Access database
...i made use of the RDC control and ODBC
...the program works fine when installed on solo computers as a stand a
lone apllication
.. the probel occurs when i try to get our network admin to install the
program over the network(i would like alll users on the network to be
able to access the same database)
...my program runs but then gives the error "can't lock tables"(i think
this is the error...i know it has to do something with locking)
...someone mentioned to me that a network and Access databases  dont
work and that i should use something callled SQL Server ????
....can anyone explain my problem or at least give me some sort of
direction as to how to solve the problem????
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 high school network problem
Access isn't the best tool for the job but it will work for a small number
of users like under 25 with minimal record locking.  It depends on what kind
of queries you are doing and what type of locks you've done in your
application.  If you set your RDC LockType property to rdConCurLock then it
will lock all rows in the database that are touched by a rowset.  The rowset
is the data returned from the query.  If you are dealing with a bunch of
read-only information then set your LockType to rdConcurReadOnly.  if you
need to do updates to the database and inserts then use rdConcurValues so it
only locks the values of the affected rows being edited at the exact moment.
Thus when one user is updating a record that record and all fields affected
by that update on that row or rows will lock until the update is completed
(only a couple of seconds or less).    You can use rdConcurRowVer which will
lock the entire affected rows during an update.  To summarize:

rdConcurReadonly - Use if application or particular form does reads only.

rdConcurLock - Don't use.  it will lock all records affected by every query
(Pessimisitic Concurrency)

rdConcurRowVer - Use if updating or inserting rows.  Locks entire effected
rows during updates but leaves all others available for updates and select
operations (Optimistic concurrency)

rdConcurValues - Best option for updates/inserts.  Locks only the
fields/values effected during an update and all other fields in effected
rows are available for access. (Optimistic concurrency on row values)

rdConcurbatch - Useful only if your doing batch mode updates.  Returns
status values for every row succesfully updated.

Dave Erickson

Quote:

>hello, my name is albi and i'm a high school teacher trying to install a
>program into the schools network...unfortunately i'm having problems
>...i made  a  program in VB5 which makes use of an Access database
>...i made use of the RDC control and ODBC
>...the program works fine when installed on solo computers as a stand a
>lone apllication
>.. the probel occurs when i try to get our network admin to install the
>program over the network(i would like alll users on the network to be
>able to access the same database)
>...my program runs but then gives the error "can't lock tables"(i think
>this is the error...i know it has to do something with locking)
>...someone mentioned to me that a network and Access databases  dont
>work and that i should use something callled SQL Server ????
>....can anyone explain my problem or at least give me some sort of
>direction as to how to solve the problem????
>any help would be greatly appreciated

>thanks

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. good VB website(s) for high school CS teacher??

2. Hard High School Visual Basic Class Home Work, Please

3. Which version of VB for high school lab?

4. Wanted: VB Textbook for High School

5. Any ideas for a high school VB project which highlights the features of VB

6. VB3 Netware 3.12 print queues and high school students

7. High School Programmers

8. Authentication at school for Novell network

9. FROM PROBLEMS IN THE SCHOOL TO PROBLEMS IN THE HOME