Windows2000 and Web Database questions
Author Message
 Windows2000 and Web Database questions

Hi: I have these problems which have been there unsolved a while----hope to
get your help. thanks!

1. I?m using Windows 2000 professional. I?d like to set up a server on it.
How may I do it? Do I have to buy anything additional since Windows2000
doesn't come with it?

 2. Also, I like to get a GUI-based application to manage (like file
manager/ explorer) the account on a remote server (like school's). Where may
I get it, like share ware or similar?

 3. I'd like to put a webpage in my web account which has a button allowing
the viewer to attach files (as selected). Once the ?send? bottom is clicked,
that file will be sent to my pre-assigned e-mail address or to my future
server on my computer.  How do I do it?

 4. Does MS Access 2000 offer the functionality to create a database(fully
maintainable) on the server? Such as ALL what MS Visual InterDev can do?
(that means, I don?t have to have MS InterDev to develop dynamic
WebPages---just using MS Access would fix it)

 Thanks a lot

Mike

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:47:23 GMT
 Windows2000 and Web Database questions
1. Win2k comes with IIS 5.0

2. CuteFTP is something like that, it's an FTP utility that's more GUI-like
than some others. I don't have a clue what you mean by "like schools" ... we
don't go to your school and have no idea what in the world you're talking
about.

3. Code the button with a mailto:blahblah , then let the user select the
file. Or, use one of the freely available mail forms that gives you much
more control over what is sent, and allow the user to type in/select the
files to send you.

4. It allows you to publish your website. A true web app, however, would be
written with Perl, ASP, etc

Quote:
> Hi: I have these problems which have been there unsolved a while----hope
> get your help. thanks!

> 1. I?m using Windows 2000 professional. I?d like to set up a server on it.
> How may I do it? Do I have to buy anything additional since Windows2000
> doesn't come with it?

>  2. Also, I like to get a GUI-based application to manage (like file
> manager/ explorer) the account on a remote server (like school's). Where
may
> I get it, like share ware or similar?

>  3. I'd like to put a webpage in my web account which has a button
allowing
> the viewer to attach files (as selected). Once the ?send? bottom is
clicked,
> that file will be sent to my pre-assigned e-mail address or to my future
> server on my computer.  How do I do it?

>  4. Does MS Access 2000 offer the functionality to create a database(fully
> maintainable) on the server? Such as ALL what MS Visual InterDev can do?
> (that means, I don?t have to have MS InterDev to develop dynamic
> WebPages---just using MS Access would fix it)

>  Thanks a lot

> Mike

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:43:24 GMT
 Windows2000 and Web Database questions
Quote:

> Hi: I have these problems which have been there unsolved a while----hope to
> get your help. thanks!

> 1. I?m using Windows 2000 professional. I?d like to set up a server on it.
> How may I do it? Do I have to buy anything additional since Windows2000
> doesn't come with it?

Here is a sketch..

1. Install IISv5 from Control Panel
2. Turn Script De{*filter*} on
3. Check with MMC (Microsoft Management Console)
4. Identify your Web Server
5. Browse with http://my_server/localstart.asp or
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (loop Back Address) or http://localhost/...
6. start up with IIS Admin(MMC) Right Click on Default Website
7. Select New|Virtual Directory
8. Type '1040' or any to Virtual Directory Alias
9. Type Directory like 'C:\MyASPNET'
10. Turn on 'Read' & 'Run Script' from checkbox
11. Click '1040' directory from MMC
12. In Virtual directory tab set radio button to 'directory located on
this computer', LocalPath to 'C:\myASPNET', 'Read, Local visits, and
Index this resource on check mark
13. In Same Tab, '1040' to application name, 'Scrips Only' for Excute
Permission, and 'Medium' for Application Protection
14. Download MDAC2.7 from Microsoft
15. Installing ASP.NET, .NET Framework SDK from Microsoft...
16. Generates ASP.NET code template from aspnet+ from www.exmlsoft.com
;-)
or start type your ASP.NET code with notepad into MyASPNET directory.

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:51:22 GMT

1. New to VB - Web database connection Questions

2. web database application question.

3. Web Site DataBase question

4. web database application question.

5. General web database question

6. General web database question

7. Newbie - Web Question - turning VB project into Web material

8. Module won't work in Windows2000/NT

9. Windows2000 Upgrade and Broken References

10. Windows2000 and Toshiba 4080XCDT

11. Information About Windows2000 Professional

12. User rights problem under Windows2000 & Word97