Need advice - is VB up to the job?????
Author Message
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

Hi,
My company is moving all its database apps from Informix New Era to SOME
OTHER LANGUAGE.
I am trying to decide which language this should be. VB5 seems attractive
for various reasons, support, continuity, integration etc...but - is it up
to the job??

Tables are in the region of 1000,000 rows (Fox and Informix and soon SQL
server) with about 200 users connecting.

So, is VB fast enough and does VB provide the necessary degree of binding to
develop complex database apps quickly.

Other products I have been looking at are SuperNova and Delphi.
SuperNova apparently is quite impressive, but I'm worried that its life
might be limited (eaten up by MS).

What do you think?
any advice, possible solutions, would be great.
Thanks
John

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

VB5 is wonderful for the interfaces.  No matter what tool you use, you will
probably want to keep your databases in SQL Server or Informix.  Learn SQL
language and use it for keeping the amount of data you need to present to a
manageable size.
I would feel comfortable doing this with VB5.
PS  Our company does this work for hire.  If you want us to come in and help
or to do it for you, please feel free to call us.
1-888-677-9981.
My direct number is 330.658.8300
Keith Alan Yerian
Technical Director
etc Computers, Inc

Quote:

>Hi,
>My company is moving all its database apps from Informix New Era to SOME
>OTHER LANGUAGE.
>I am trying to decide which language this should be. VB5 seems attractive
>for various reasons, support, continuity, integration etc...but - is it up
>to the job??

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

Quote:

>Hi,
>My company is moving all its database apps from Informix New Era to SOME
>OTHER LANGUAGE.

[snip]

Quote:
>Tables are in the region of 1000,000 rows (Fox and Informix and soon SQL
>server) with about 200 users connecting.

Are you saying 100,000 or 1,000,000?

You have 2 issues here... the development environment used to build your
front-ends, and the DBMS used to store the data. VB is a front-end only, it
does not store data, although it does have a default RDBMS, which is Jet.

VB is a fantastic front-end development tool, and it's positioned to have a
long life. It can access data from any ODBC data source as easily as from
any other. These data sources can be, but are not limited to, FoxPro, SQL
Server, Oracle, Informix, and, yes, Jet.

Jet does not handle large data sets or a large user count very well at all.
It's a desktop database. We're talking MS Access here.

In short, VB is up to the job, so long as you ask it to do the right job.
Choose your DBMS independent of VB and you'll be golden.

Square Tree Software -  http://www.SquareTree.com/

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

VB is definetily up to the challenge of fulfilling the client , business
and data tiers  for the the task at hand.
I also recomend that if possible you may wish to transform you data to SLQ
Server, although this is a business preference your data can remain in
Informix if you wish. It is also very prudent that your company consider
using Microsoft Transaction Server for maintaing you business and data
objects in a stateless fashion.

Also, I recommend that you consider using an OOA/D/P approach to performing
this task. We currently recommend to our customers to use Objectory from
Rational to perform the Analaysis and Design Phase of their projects, as
well as using UML as the Modeling language notation.

Good luck in your decisions and migration of your applications. If you have
any quaestions on any of the aboved mentioned items or you wish to consider
using an ouside source to help your company move your applications into the
right direction feel free to contact myself or my  staff at

Respectfully,

Gregory P. Titus
CEO
RI Software Consulting Group, Inc.

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I'm now properly convinced that VB
is the right way to go for us.

btw, I meant 1million + rows.

One issue that pains me but probably can't be avoided is that we'll have to
develop in VB4 initially as our users are on win311 rolling slowly out to
win98 (can't go NT just yet as our custom rollback manager has come
interrupt conflict with NT - this will be sorted when SQL Server is in
place).

Then we'll move to VB5. How much of a big deal is it to recompile apps
written in VB4 to VB5? Is it OK?
I tried opening VB3 projects in VB5 and it doesn't like them much.

I would like to minimize the number of times we have to migrate apps,
platforms and DBMS's in the next couple if years (win311 -> win98 -> NT4/5
and NewEra -> VB4 -> VB5 and Informix and Fox to Informix and SQL Server)
but if it must be done, I'd love to know of any issues before I make any
stupid decisions.

Any ideas, thoughts, or sarky comments would be appreaciated.
Thanks very much for your help.
John

Quote:

> [...]

>>server) with about 200 users connecting.

>Are you saying 100,000 or 1,000,000?

>You have 2 issues here... the development environment used to build your
>front-ends, and the DBMS used to store the data. VB is a front-end only, it
>does not store data, although it does have a default RDBMS, which is Jet.

>VB is a fantastic front-end development tool, and it's positioned to have a
>long life. It can access data from any ODBC data source as easily as from
>any other. These data sources can be, but are not limited to, FoxPro, SQL
>Server, Oracle, Informix, and, yes, Jet.

>Jet does not handle large data sets or a large user count very well at all.
>It's a desktop database. We're talking MS Access here.

>In short, VB is up to the job, so long as you ask it to do the right job.
>Choose your DBMS independent of VB and you'll be golden.

We are using Visual Basic as the client interface for a large-scale document
management solution. Tables are in regions of aprox. 500.000 rows each. I
did some performance profiling and it turned out that about 95+ % of the
time are spent in the low-level database functions (that is writing, reading
and executing DB commands). So we did some work in optimizing the database
access rate rather than switching so to some "faster" language like C++.

I would say, Visual Basic 5.0 is a good choice for Client-Server
applications if they have lots GUIs - for batch processing we use C directly
on the server avoiding network load and delays. We figured that the time VB
needs to get the data is equal to what a telnet session needs. So the
runtime depends on what you do with the data and that would be true for
every programming language. So the rule seems to be: user interfaces in VB,
batch processing and fast, time-critical parts on the server and in C (or
something like C).

Andreas

Quote:
>Hi,
>My company is moving all its database apps from Informix New Era to SOME
>OTHER LANGUAGE.
>I am trying to decide which language this should be. VB5 seems attractive
>for various reasons, support, continuity, integration etc...but - is it up
>to the job??

>Tables are in the region of 1000,000 rows (Fox and Informix and soon SQL
>server) with about 200 users connecting.

>So, is VB fast enough and does VB provide the necessary degree of binding
>develop complex database apps quickly.

>Other products I have been looking at are SuperNova and Delphi.
>SuperNova apparently is quite impressive, but I'm worried that its life
>might be limited (eaten up by MS).

>What do you think?
>any advice, possible solutions, would be great.
>Thanks
>John

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

Quote:
>>One issue that pains me but probably can't be avoided is that we'll
>>have to develop in VB4 initially as our users are on win311 rolling
>>... Then we'll move to VB5. How much of a big deal is it to
>>recompile apps written in VB4 to VB5? Is it OK?

It can be fairly painless if you avoid obsolete DAO objects and OLE controls.
For example, VB4 still allows the use of Dynaset and Snapshot objects, whereas
VB5 just uses a single Recordset object that can be of dynaset or snapshot
type.

Look through the VB5 controls to make sure the controls you want to use are
still supported.  Controls that are no longer supported by MS include the
Sherridan control (VSTAB, and a number of others), the Outline control, and
probably others.

I had the extreme pleasure of converting all the Sherridan option button
controls to the generic MS ones when we migrated to VB5. (Sherridan still sells
updates of their controls, incidently)

Quote:
>>I tried opening VB3 projects in VB5 and it doesn't like them much.

Yep, to go from 3 to 5 requires that you convert them to VB4 first.

- John

Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

In my company we use VB50 to access a database. When i first started it was
an access database. The problem with the access database is that it can't
handle that amount of data / users. Therefore now we are using an SQL
server and if you use stored procedures alot of the database work will be
moved from VB50 to the SQL server which i think handles it better.

Hope this can be of any help
Peter

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need advice - is VB up to the job?????

2. I am seeking a VB job in or near Chicago IL

3. Am I ready for a VB Job.

4. Advice needed from VB veterans concerning Registry Adjustments in VB 5

5. JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS !!!!!!

6. I AM LOOKING FOR JOB IN EUROPE

7. I AM LOOKING FOR JOB IN EUROPE

8. Need VB Version Advice

9. Object Oriented VB - Need advice

10. VB.NET and ADO Advice Needed

11. need advice to convert VB app to ASP!

12. Need VB advice !