VB/Oracle Connectivity
Author Message
 VB/Oracle Connectivity

We're having a very difficult time maintaining stable Oracle/VB
connections. I wonder if anyone else has dealt successfully with this.
I'm running VB 3.0 using ODBC API calls (Oracle's ODBC driver) over an
Ethernet TCP/IP network to Oracle V7 on Sun SPARCs. We have a great deal
of difficulty logging in, especially if the application fails and we must
relog in. Most frequently encountered errors are Data Source not found,
and remote host unknown. We can get these even after running successfully
for a while, different tools on the same machine (all running the -exact-
same code ) will connect or not connect sporadically (one tool will
connect, while the other won't - and vice versa).
I have traced the ODBC code to the nth degree and it seems to be
executing properly( I've used ODBCSpy from the ODBC SDK).

If anyone has some experience with this situation or some thoughts, I'd
love to hear them.

TIA,
roger Larson

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Oracle Connectivity

Subject: Re: VB/Oracle Connectivity

Quote:
>We're having a very difficult time maintaining stable Oracle/VB
>connections. I wonder if anyone else has dealt successfully with this.
>I'm running VB 3.0 using ODBC API calls (Oracle's ODBC driver) over an
>Ethernet TCP/IP network to Oracle V7 on Sun SPARCs. We have a great deal

     Turn off multithreading on the Oracle end, or use Oracle objects. We
have the same problem here, and neither Oracle or MS know why.

_
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Fri, 02 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Oracle Connectivity
I wonder if it is a coincidence that we must turn of the asynch option
in the odbc ini file when using SQL Server, in order to stabilize it?

Y'all might try that as a second option.

writes:

Quote:

>Subject: Re: VB/Oracle Connectivity

>>We're having a very difficult time maintaining stable Oracle/VB
>>connections. I wonder if anyone else has dealt successfully with
this.
>>I'm running VB 3.0 using ODBC API calls (Oracle's ODBC driver) over
an
>>Ethernet TCP/IP network to Oracle V7 on Sun SPARCs. We have a great
deal

>     Turn off multithreading on the Oracle end, or use Oracle objects.
We
>have the same problem here, and neither Oracle or MS know why.

>_
>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
>QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
>Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

>'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Sat, 03 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Oracle Connectivity

I am using Oracle Objects and oracel 7 on a digital 400-90 and I have not
a had a single problem with losing connections.

Quote:
> I wonder if it is a coincidence that we must turn of the asynch option
> in the odbc ini file when using SQL Server, in order to stabilize it?

> Y'all might try that as a second option.

> writes:

> >Subject: Re: VB/Oracle Connectivity

> >>We're having a very difficult time maintaining stable Oracle/VB
> >>connections. I wonder if anyone else has dealt successfully with
> this.
> >>I'm running VB 3.0 using ODBC API calls (Oracle's ODBC driver) over
> an
> >>Ethernet TCP/IP network to Oracle V7 on Sun SPARCs. We have a great
> deal

> >     Turn off multithreading on the Oracle end, or use Oracle objects.
> We
> >have the same problem here, and neither Oracle or MS know why.

> >_
> >"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
> >QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
> >Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

> >'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Tue, 06 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Oracle Connectivity

Quote:
>I am using Oracle Objects and oracel 7 on a digital 400-90 and I have not
>a had a single problem with losing connections.

     He is not using Oracle Objects, he is using ODBC. COMPLETELY different.

_
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help with Oracle/VB connectivity

2. VB Windows -> Oracle (UNIX) Connectivity

3. VB 3.0 ODBC Oracle 7.1.x connectivity

4. Oracle 7.3.3 Connectivity With CR/VB

5. VB-ODBC-Oracle connectivity....

6. Connectivity To oracle from Vb

7. Oracle connectivity from VB

8. Vb connectivity to ORACLE

9. VB-ADO-ODBC-Oracle connectivity

10. Connectivity between Vb and Oracle

11. ADO+ODBC+Oracle Connectivity problem in VB on Win98

12. ADO / VB / Oracle / AS400 connectivity questions.