Data Environment Designer
Author Message
 Data Environment Designer

Sorry if this is real elementary, but I'm new to VB6...

When using the Data Environment Designer in a real-world scenario (i.e., the
user could have the files in any directory on any drive), how do you allow
the user to "point" at the data (Jet database in this particular instance)?
The only thing I can come up with is to programmatically change the
ConnectionString property when the program initializes, which seems to
defeat the purpose of using the wizard.  Is there a more elegant way to
accomplish this?

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Environment Designer
Well, I am new to this too......but I don't think there is "a more elegant
way".....

There is more faith in honest doubt than in all creeds combined.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/desertavatar
Free - A VB strings function tutor! - Now Updated with VB6 Functions!
Latin, History, Great Pyramid, Spanish Castle.

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Environment Designer
I create a Microsoft Data Link (UDL) file and then have all my data
connections inside the VB project connect to this one data link that is
expected to be located in a fixed location on the users hard drive. Then,
each user can independently set this data link file to point to whichever
path they want. The property page of the ADO data control explicitly allows
you to connect to a data link file. However, the Data Environment only seems
to allow you to directly reference the database path. I fixed this by
setting the ConnectionString property at design time to the following:

FILE NAME=C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\OLE DB\Data
Links\MyDataLink.udl

Quote:
> Sorry if this is real elementary, but I'm new to VB6...

> When using the Data Environment Designer in a real-world scenario (i.e.,
the
> user could have the files in any directory on any drive), how do you allow
> the user to "point" at the data (Jet database in this particular
instance)?
> The only thing I can come up with is to programmatically change the
> ConnectionString property when the program initializes, which seems to
> defeat the purpose of using the wizard.  Is there a more elegant way to
> accomplish this?

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. data report / data environment designers

2. data report / data environment designers

3. Data Environment Designer

4. Data Environment Designer

5. Data Environment Designer

6. Error when using Data Environment Designer

7. Any problems with the Data Environment Designer?

8. Data environment designer

9. Data Environment Designer - User Controls

10. Help...Data Environment Designer

11. Connecting to Oracle with Data Environment Designer/ADO

12. data environment designer