Cost of Begintrans/Commit
Author Message
 Cost of Begintrans/Commit

Quote:

> I am reading 4,000 records and writing to one or more of nine
> integer fields in 40 or less records (updating counters). Is
> each one of the 40 records stored, and updated, in memory so
> that only 40 writes are done, or is it truely a transaction log
> where each of the 4,000 updates will finally be written to
> Access?

If you are using BeginTrans and CommitTrans, the 40 records you are
updating are maintained in a buffer space, which may be real or
virtual memory.  They are the only records written during the
session.  Access .MDB files grow with use, so what may actually
be taking place is that all your new records are appending to the
end of the file and the old ones are marked as inactive/deleted. It
appears that older versions of Access did in fact rewrite the entire
database, but I don't know if that is still applicable in Version 2.

Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:13:53 GMT
 Cost of Begintrans/Commit

If I use BeginTrans/CommitTrans in a single user environment,
is there any way to determine (predict) if the transaction
is two long (impacting meomory etc.)  I want to use the
BeginTrans/CommitTrans combination for speed but want to
insure that users without large amounts of resources will
not have any problems with the applicaiton.

Also, how does VB (or Access) handle the transaction.  I am
reading 4,000 records and writing to one or more of nine
integer fields in 40 or less records (updating counters). Is
each one of the 40 records stored, and updated, in memory so
that only 40 writes are done, or is it truely a transaction log
where each of the 4,000 updates will finally be written to
Access?

Thanks for your help,
Jim

Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:53:36 GMT

1. Using BeginTrans, Commit Trans

2. Begintrans-Commit with SQL-Server7??

3. VB4 - Commit or Rollback without BeginTrans. (Error 3034)

4. BeginTrans Commit RollBack

5. BeginTrans, Commit, RollBack

6. Commit or Rollback without BeginTrans Error

7. VB4 - Commit or Rollback without BeginTrans. (Error 3034)

8. BeginTrans|Commit|Rollback

9. Begintrans,commit Blocking

10. Begintrans/Commit/Rollback

11. VB3 err:Commit or RollBack without BeginTrans, but the BeginTrans is there!

12. To BeginTrans or not to BeginTrans........