Help: Query stops working when VB4 -> VB5
Author Message
 Help: Query stops working when VB4 -> VB5

Data error 3073????
I have an application that was started as a VB3 app several years ago. It
has then migrated to VB4-16bit and VB4-32bit. Now when I want to go to VB5
I have this non-trivial problem:

In an Access2 database file the app stores a query (see SQL text below)
which is later executed (there are a lot of queries stored this way during
app startup). This query lives in the Access mdb file and is later called
in a DB.Execute command.
In VB4-32 the query executes just fine and the result can be used as
expected.
In VB5 the call generates the runtime error 3073 (Operation must use an
updatable query.)
Why in heavens name??? If I execute the query from within Access it runs
just fine too, it is only when VB5 tries that it flops out!

I would very much appreciate if someone could tell me what's wrong!

Here is the offending query text which works in VB4 and Access but not in
VB5 (yes - I have installed service pack 2 to no avail):

UPDATE DISTINCTROW (PartrefInMag INNER JOIN Magasin
ON PartrefInMag.IdCode = Magasin.IdCode)
INNER JOIN PartsInUse ON (Magasin.IdCode = PartsInUse.IdCode)
AND (PartrefInMag.AoLnr = PartsInUse.AoLnr)
AND (PartrefInMag.Operation = PartsInUse.Operation)
SET Magasin.PalStatus = 5;

PS: The app is running in a WinNT environment.

Bo Berglund

Note that the reply address is sometimes incorrect to stop spamming.

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Query stops working when VB4 -> VB5

Bo,

Have you tried running the same Query in VisData which comes with VB5.  It
uses the same DBEngine as VB5 mabye you could see the problem in an easily
editable style.

Scott

Quote:
> Data error 3073????
> I have an application that was started as a VB3 app several years ago. It
> has then migrated to VB4-16bit and VB4-32bit. Now when I want to go to
VB5
> I have this non-trivial problem:

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: Query stops working when VB4 -> VB5

2. Query not working through VB5->DAO.

3. help:query stopped working in 4.0, error 13

4. Please Help! VB4 stopped working in Chinese Win95

5. HELP: vb4 -> vb5

6. VB5 >>>>> Academic Version

7. My user-defined functions stopped working in a query

8. VB4-16bit Stopped Working

9. Tab key in VB5 IDE stopped working?

10. CR thru VB5 stops only works on some machines

11. Query criteria >50 doesn't work if passed from form..;(

12. Query Speed VB4 -> Foxpro 2.6