Error accessing the System Registry 
Author Message
 Error accessing the System Registry

 I am using Visual Basic 5.0, and whenever I try to open 'References' under
the Project menu, I get a dialog box saying "Error accessing the System
Registry". Help suggested that the registry was corrupted and that I should
reinstall Visual Basic. I did this, but this did not solve the problem.
Does anyone know of a bug or common problem which might be causing this? Are
there any utilities that can fix up the part of the registry which
References are associated with (I assume these are ActiveX controls, etc)?
I am trying to get into References in order to add DAO for a database
project. Does anyone know of a workaround that would let me add a reference
into the project file without having to go through the References dialog?

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks, Scott Morrison



Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

There is a program on the VB4 CD called regclean.exe.  It does a good job
at cleaning up a registry.



Quote:
>  I am using Visual Basic 5.0, and whenever I try to open 'References'
under
> the Project menu, I get a dialog box saying "Error accessing the System
> Registry". Help suggested that the registry was corrupted and that I
should
> reinstall Visual Basic. I did this, but this did not solve the problem.
> Does anyone know of a bug or common problem which might be causing this?
Are
> there any utilities that can fix up the part of the registry which
> References are associated with (I assume these are ActiveX controls,
etc)?
> I am trying to get into References in order to add DAO for a database
> project. Does anyone know of a workaround that would let me add a
reference
> into the project file without having to go through the References dialog?

> Any help gratefully received!
> Thanks, Scott Morrison




Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

 There's a much newer release on Microsoft's site...search for
regcln41.exe...it fixed what the original and version 3.0 would fix...

Kevin Stewart wrote in article

Quote:
>There is a program on the VB4 CD called regclean.exe.  It does a good job
>at cleaning up a registry.



>>  I am using Visual Basic 5.0, and whenever I try to open 'References'
>under
>> the Project menu, I get a dialog box saying "Error accessing the System
>> Registry". Help suggested that the registry was corrupted and that I
>should
>> reinstall Visual Basic. I did this, but this did not solve the problem.
>> Does anyone know of a bug or common problem which might be causing this?
>Are
>> there any utilities that can fix up the part of the registry which
>> References are associated with (I assume these are ActiveX controls,
>etc)?
>> I am trying to get into References in order to add DAO for a database
>> project. Does anyone know of a workaround that would let me add a
>reference
>> into the project file without having to go through the References dialog?

>> Any help gratefully received!
>> Thanks, Scott Morrison




Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

 Gee Fredrick...


Quote:
>Finaly I think that the system-registry is shit. It's not strange that

I guess you don't like OLE either eh? (g)


Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

Quote:


> >  I am using Visual Basic 5.0, and whenever I try to open
> 'References' under
> > the Project menu, I get a dialog box saying "Error accessing the
> System
> > Registry".

> I've had exactly the same problem in VB5 when trying to access the
> reference-menu. Unfortunately I had to replace the registry-file (I
> replaced system.dat with system.da0 or system.1st) This means that you
> have to reinstall a lot of your programs since they aren't in the
> registry any more.

Doubtful.  System.da0 and User.da0 are the last "good" versions of
System.dat and User.dat.  In other words, the last time you started your
computer, System.da0 was System.dat and User.da0 was User.da0.  So if
you turn off your computer every day, then System.da0 and User.da0 were
yesterdays versions of the registry.
Quote:

> Perhaps there's a better way, but if you choose to replace your
> registry-file (system.dat), look in:
> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: Q131431 ("How to troubleshoot
> registry errors).

Actually, just look in your Online Help.
Quote:

> Regclean (3 and 4.1) just made my registry even more corrupted, so I
> cannot recommend any of them.

> Finaly I think that the system-registry is shit. It's not strange that
> programs often don't work correctly under Win95. Recently I have
> started

Oh, for Pete's sake!  You self-taught hackers are something.  If I were
a betting man, I'd say you didn't know that Win 3.x has a registry,
also!  With the "explosion" of computing in the last few years, many
more applications and programs have been written.  So, there's going to
be more run-time errors, etc.  Especially with these companies feeling
the heat of competition.  They're pumping out shit that should still be
in beta!
Quote:
> to make backup-copies of my registry-file using RegEdit.exe. Just in

You already have a backup.  But, if you really feel the need, I'd
suggest buying a Syquest EZFlyer 230 (not as popular as a Zip drive, but
it runs at 13.5ms; almost as fast as my hard drive!  Plus, it's built
better. $.02).
Quote:
> case.. you never know when it bugs again, and again..
> /Fredrik Hederstierna.

If you don't know anything about the Registry, I would suggest not going
there.  If your system goes down, and you really believe it's the
registry, here it is:
In DOS mode, at C:\Windows\
attrib -h -r -s system.dat <enter>
attrib -h -r -s system.da0 <enter>
copy system.da0 system.dat <enter>
attrib -h -r -s user.dat <enter>
attrib -h -r -s user.da0 <enter>
copy user.da0 user.dat <enter>
Restart your computer.
Good luck!
Geo


Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

Quote:

>  I am using Visual Basic 5.0, and whenever I try to open 'References' under
> the Project menu, I get a dialog box saying "Error accessing the System
> Registry".

I've had exactly the same problem in VB5 when trying to access the
reference-menu. Unfortunately I had to replace the registry-file (I
replaced system.dat with system.da0 or system.1st) This means that you
have to reinstall a lot of your programs since they aren't in the
registry any more.

Perhaps there's a better way, but if you choose to replace your
registry-file (system.dat), look in:
Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: Q131431 ("How to troubleshoot
registry errors).

Regclean (3 and 4.1) just made my registry even more corrupted, so I
cannot recommend any of them.

Finaly I think that the system-registry is shit. It's not strange that
programs often don't work correctly under Win95. Recently I have started
to make backup-copies of my registry-file using RegEdit.exe. Just in
case.. you never know when it bugs again, and again..
/Fredrik Hederstierna.



Sat, 05 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

Quote:

>  Gee Fredrick...

> I guess you don't like OLE either eh? (g)

OLE is great when it works. It's just that it too often doesn't.
All right, I'm sure that the system registry and OLE and everything are
great ideas, but why do they not work properly then?
VB5 + Office97 + Win95 sounds like the perfect couple, designed to
cooperate smoothly and bugfree, but they for sure do not work together
perfectly, and often not as well as a working, time-pressured,
professional developer can demand.
No hard feelings, just getting frustrated when the Bill-programs start
to mess around with my computer from time to time..
/Fredrik Hederstierna


Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Error accessing the System Registry

Quote:

> Oh, for Pete's sake!  You self-taught hackers are something.  If I were
> a betting man, I'd say you didn't know that Win 3.x has a registry,
> also!  With the "explosion" of computing in the last few years, many
> more applications and programs have been written.  So, there's going to
> be more run-time errors, etc.  Especially with these companies feeling
> the heat of competition.  They're pumping out shit that should still be
> in beta!

Ok, I think you are right, the idea of the registry is great and
essential, it's just that it too easily can be corrupted and fail many
other programs, like vb5. Anyway, that's what I have experienced.
About "self-taught hacker": Unfortunately we in Sweden do not have any
University-classes in neither vb-programming nor
system-registry-knowledge. Most vb-programmers are "self-taught". I've
studied computer science at the University in Lund and are right now
working as a professional developer, so I don't like to be called
"self-taught hacker", thank you.

Quote:
> If you don't know anything about the Registry, I would suggest not going
> there.  If your system goes down, and you really believe it's the
> registry, here it is:
> In DOS mode, at C:\Windows\
> attrib -h -r -s system.dat <enter>
> attrib -h -r -s system.da0 <enter>
> copy system.da0 system.dat <enter>
> attrib -h -r -s user.dat <enter>
> attrib -h -r -s user.da0 <enter>
> copy user.da0 user.dat <enter>
> Restart your computer.

I tried this but it didn't solve my problem. When working with Win95
(not NT4 which is great) it's very common that you have to restart you
computer something like 5 times/day. (Because of program-failure.) And
if you restart the computer twice since the registry-corruption occured,
then system.da0 is corrupted too. Therefore I save my own backups.

Quote:
> Good luck!

Thank you, I'm sorry if I said bad things about Microsoft-products.
Soon I'll be back at the Unix-environment at University and you won't
bother that I ever said this.
Best whishes,
/Fredrik Hederstierna.


Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Error accessing the system registry

2. VB IDE: Error accessing the system registry

3. Error Accessing the System Registry

4. Error accessing the System Registry

5. VB4: Error accessing the system registry

6. Error Accessing the System Registry

7. Error Accessing The System Registry

8. !Error accessing the system registry

9. Error accessing the system registry

10. Error accessing the System Registry

11. Error accessing the System Registry

12. Error accessing the system registry

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software