How to attach tables to a readonly Access 2.0 database using VB
Author Message
 How to attach tables to a readonly Access 2.0 database using VB

I am developing a VB fontend program using Access 2.0 databases.  The VB
program uses the Access 2.0 database located on the client machine. This
database has attached tables linked to another Access 2.0 database
located on the server.  When the server path is changed, the VB program
asks the user to give the new path name and then delete the old attached
tables, reattach the tables from the new server path.  All this was
successful when the server database does not have readonly file
attribute.  However, I do want to make the server database readonly so
that no user will be able to make any changes to it.  (The VB program is
a decision support program which only needs to read data from the
server.)  When I attach tables from the readonly server Access 2.0
database, VB gives the error code 3000, error message saying reserved
error code -8194 (The help file says this means "The database is opened
by user '|2' on machine '|1'. You can't open this database
exclusively."   I don't know why this message came up and how to avoid
this error.  Have any of you tried attached tables to readonly Access 2.0
databases using VB codes (I know that using Access 2.0 itself, I can do
it)? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Hao

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How to attach tables to a readonly Access 2.0 database using VB
Hao,
I repeated your problem and was able to correct it by changing the
ReadOnly property of the data control to true.  It is set to false by
default.

Bob Bower
Business & Learning Solutions

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rbower

Fri, 24 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: attaching Btrieve table in Access 2.0 database using VB 4.0 16-bit

2. Attaching a Table with Access 2.0 VB

3. MSAccess 2.0 attach table using 16-bit ODBC

4. MSAccess 2.0 attach table using 16-bit ODBC

5. Error updating attached MS-Access 2.0 tables

6. Help - Access 2.0 attached tables

7. Attached tables in Access 2.0

8. VB4 to Access 2.0 attached tables

9. Help: attaching Btrieve-table in Access mdb using VB 4.0 16-bit

10. Attaching External Access Table to Access Database

11. Importing a CSV file into an MS Access 2.0 table using VB 4.0

12. Using VB to embed OLE Container Control's .doc into Access 2.0 table