VB6 Datasource property!!!
Author Message
 VB6 Datasource property!!!

Oh Great! Another reason not to upgrade. Yet, I must. <sigh>.

It sounds like you have a basic environment problem. Good luck. As
Microsoft asks.. "Where do you want to go today?".

I'm looking at trying to restore my VB5 envoronment, after adding a
couple of ad-ins. I can't distribute EXE's to any of my customers after
this debacle, and we're talking many machines over networks. <sigh,
again>

"What do I want to fix today?"

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Datasource property!!!
Hi,

When designing a VB form, if I click on a control's DataSource
property, the whole VB environment goes into some sort of seizure.
Forms flash on and off, usually with their background colours
inverted.  There is a long delay (15 seconds) before things eventually
return to normal, with the exception that the VB Properties Window goes
blank.  To get the Properties Window to return to its normal state, I
have to click on a control that doesn't have a DataSource property.

The most frustrating thing about this is that I can't change a
control's DataSource property setting.

I suspect that this is a VB6 problem (since I've just upgraded from
VB5) and as somebody else who reported a similar problem has said,
there's nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

I am running VB6 (Enterprise Edition) SP3 on Windows NT Workstation 4
SP6.  I also have Crystal Reports 7, True DBGrid Pro 6 and Sheridan
Calendar Widgets 1.09 installed on the same PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Bozo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Datasource property!!!
I've managed to fix the problem...

I started removing forms from my project and at the same time seeing if
the problem persisted.  After removing a particular form (let's call it
Form1), the problem went away.  I added the forms back to the project
and the problem returned.  So, I then had to figure out what it was
about Form1 that was causing the problem.

Form1 contains a RemoteData control and a CRViewer control.  I removed
the RemoteData control and presto, the problem was gone.  Why?  Read
on...

I have RemoteData controls on several forms.  Often more than one per
form.  As it turns out, the RemoteData control on Form1 has the SAME
NAME as RemoteData controls on two other forms.  I pasted the
RemoteData control back onto Form1 and renamed it to something
completely unique.  After that, everything worked again.  Mind you,
there are still two forms with a RemoteData control having the same
name.  Bizarre.  As far as I know there is no requirement for
RemoteData controls to have names that are unique across the whole
project.

Obviously there is a new "feature" in VB6 that comes into effect when
you attempt to change the DataSource property of a control.  As
somebody else has said, it's as though VB goes searching through all of
the project's forms before displaying a list of eligible data
controls.  The logic behind this feature is badly flawed.

HTH

Quote:

> Hi,

> When designing a VB form, if I click on a control's DataSource
> property, the whole VB environment goes into some sort of seizure.
> Forms flash on and off, usually with their background colours
> inverted.  There is a long delay (15 seconds) before things eventually
> return to normal, with the exception that the VB Properties Window
goes
> blank.  To get the Properties Window to return to its normal state, I
> have to click on a control that doesn't have a DataSource property.

> The most frustrating thing about this is that I can't change a
> control's DataSource property setting.

> I suspect that this is a VB6 problem (since I've just upgraded from
> VB5) and as somebody else who reported a similar problem has said,
> there's nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

> I am running VB6 (Enterprise Edition) SP3 on Windows NT Workstation 4
> SP6.  I also have Crystal Reports 7, True DBGrid Pro 6 and Sheridan
> Calendar Widgets 1.09 installed on the same PC.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Mr Bozo

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Datasource property!!!
I have found that to get around this problem you have to remove all
CRViewer controls from all of the forms in your project each time that
you want to change a DataSource property value, which is hardly
satisfactory.

It seems that the problem applies only to NT4 SP3 (ie those silly
people who like to have the latest release).

Quote:

> Hi,

> When designing a VB form, if I click on a control's DataSource
> property, the whole VB environment goes into some sort of seizure.
> Forms flash on and off, usually with their background colours
> inverted.  There is a long delay (15 seconds) before things eventually
> return to normal, with the exception that the VB Properties Window
goes
> blank.  To get the Properties Window to return to its normal state, I
> have to click on a control that doesn't have a DataSource property.

> The most frustrating thing about this is that I can't change a
> control's DataSource property setting.

> I suspect that this is a VB6 problem (since I've just upgraded from
> VB5) and as somebody else who reported a similar problem has said,
> there's nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

> I am running VB6 (Enterprise Edition) SP3 on Windows NT Workstation 4
> SP6.  I also have Crystal Reports 7, True DBGrid Pro 6 and Sheridan
> Calendar Widgets 1.09 installed on the same PC.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Mr Bozo

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Datasource property!!!
After researching this further, I have found that the problem is only
temporarily fixed by renaming/removing the RemoteData control.  The
next time that the project is opened the problem returns.

To get around it properly, you have to remove all CRViewer controls
from all of the forms in your project each time that you want to change
a DataSource property value, which is hardly satisfactory.

It seems that the problem applies only to NT4 SP3 (ie those silly
people who like to have the latest release).

Quote:

> I've managed to fix the problem...

> I started removing forms from my project and at the same time seeing
if
> the problem persisted.  After removing a particular form (let's call
it
> Form1), the problem went away.  I added the forms back to the project
> and the problem returned.  So, I then had to figure out what it was
> about Form1 that was causing the problem.

> Form1 contains a RemoteData control and a CRViewer control.  I removed
> the RemoteData control and presto, the problem was gone.  Why?  Read
> on...

> I have RemoteData controls on several forms.  Often more than one per
> form.  As it turns out, the RemoteData control on Form1 has the SAME
> NAME as RemoteData controls on two other forms.  I pasted the
> RemoteData control back onto Form1 and renamed it to something
> completely unique.  After that, everything worked again.  Mind you,
> there are still two forms with a RemoteData control having the same
> name.  Bizarre.  As far as I know there is no requirement for
> RemoteData controls to have names that are unique across the whole
> project.

> Obviously there is a new "feature" in VB6 that comes into effect when
> you attempt to change the DataSource property of a control.  As
> somebody else has said, it's as though VB goes searching through all
of
> the project's forms before displaying a list of eligible data
> controls.  The logic behind this feature is badly flawed.

> HTH

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Datasource property!!!
I had the same problem with a proggy I am working on. I did rename all data
controls with unique names based on their parent form names and now I have
the problem no more.  Good Luck.

P. S. For awhile I just opened a new project and designed new forms or
re-designed existing ones. saved just the forms, Then added them to the main
proggy. That worked too but was a pain in the arse.

Quote:

> I have found that to get around this problem you have to remove all
> CRViewer controls from all of the forms in your project each time that
> you want to change a DataSource property value, which is hardly
> satisfactory.

> It seems that the problem applies only to NT4 SP3 (ie those silly
> people who like to have the latest release).

> > Hi,

> > When designing a VB form, if I click on a control's DataSource
> > property, the whole VB environment goes into some sort of seizure.
> > Forms flash on and off, usually with their background colours
> > inverted.  There is a long delay (15 seconds) before things eventually
> > return to normal, with the exception that the VB Properties Window
> goes
> > blank.  To get the Properties Window to return to its normal state, I
> > have to click on a control that doesn't have a DataSource property.

> > The most frustrating thing about this is that I can't change a
> > control's DataSource property setting.

> > I suspect that this is a VB6 problem (since I've just upgraded from
> > VB5) and as somebody else who reported a similar problem has said,
> > there's nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

> > I am running VB6 (Enterprise Edition) SP3 on Windows NT Workstation 4
> > SP6.  I also have Crystal Reports 7, True DBGrid Pro 6 and Sheridan
> > Calendar Widgets 1.09 installed on the same PC.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Mr Bozo

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB6 Datasource property!!!

2. Bug- DataSource property and VB6- looking for confirmation

3. VB6 loops when Datasource property selected

4. Bug- DataSource property and VB6- looking for confirmation

5. vb6 design problem with datasource property

6. does listview have datasource property?

7. houw do you expose the datasource property of a datagrid in a usercontrol

8. ASP.NET -> DropDownList.DataSource Property Error

9. DataSource Property of Grid Controls

10. DataSource property in user created control

11. ADODC DataSource property back to nothing...

12. Add Datasource and Datamember properties