Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Author Message
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6

I'm using VB6.
DAO3.6 is checked in the References list.
I create the MDB file in code using DAO.
The MDB file is usable from Access 2000 without error or conversion.
I can manipulate the MDB file from within VB using various DAO
statements.

What I can't get to work is the Data control.

I have KB article Q238401 that supposedly addresses this issue. The
example in that article does not work! The recordset is created (and
can be manipulated in the immediate window) but the statement:
Set Data1.Recordset = rs     does nothing.

What else do I have to do?

Martin

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
There's not enough info here but I DO know that the article you mention
works.  What other code might be needed to make it work might be to set the
"DataSource = <Usually Data1>" and "DataField = <FieldName>" properties in
the Form_Load event.

Rich,

Quote:
> I'm using VB6.
> DAO3.6 is checked in the References list.
> I create the MDB file in code using DAO.
> The MDB file is usable from Access 2000 without error or conversion.
> I can manipulate the MDB file from within VB using various DAO
> statements.

> What I can't get to work is the Data control.

> I have KB article Q238401 that supposedly addresses this issue. The
> example in that article does not work! The recordset is created (and
> can be manipulated in the immediate window) but the statement:
> Set Data1.Recordset = rs     does nothing.

> What else do I have to do?

> Martin

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Thanks for the response.

The DATA control does not have a DataSource or a DataField property.

The problem is that the DATA control won't accept the recordset
assignment. After executing the "Set Data1.Recordset = rs" statement,
the Recordset still equals Nothing.

I tried this out in a freshly-written progam with nothing else in it
except what's shown in the Q-article. Apparently there is something
else needed to make it work but I sure can't figure it out.

Martin

Quote:
>There's not enough info here but I DO know that the article you mention
>works.  What other code might be needed to make it work might be to set the
>"DataSource = <Usually Data1>" and "DataField = <FieldName>" properties in
>the Form_Load event.

>Rich,

>> I'm using VB6.
>> DAO3.6 is checked in the References list.
>> I create the MDB file in code using DAO.
>> The MDB file is usable from Access 2000 without error or conversion.
>> I can manipulate the MDB file from within VB using various DAO
>> statements.

>> What I can't get to work is the Data control.

>> I have KB article Q238401 that supposedly addresses this issue. The
>> example in that article does not work! The recordset is created (and
>> can be manipulated in the immediate window) but the statement:
>> Set Data1.Recordset = rs     does nothing.

>> What else do I have to do?

>> Martin

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Hi,

You have to open youre recordset. See the sample code

Option Explicit

Private WithEvents adoAdrCat As ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Set adoAdrCat = New ADODB.Recordset

  adoAdrCat.Open "SELECT * FROM AdresCategorien ORDER BY
AdresCategorieCode", _
      oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

  Set grdAdrCat.DataSource = adoAdrCat                        ' datagrid
  Set txtCategorieCode.DataSource = adoAdrCat            ' text field
  Set txtCategorie.DataSource = adoAdrCat                    ' texfield

'oConn' is a global connection in my software. The datafield property is
filled in the designers property of the txtfields

I hope this is wath youre looking for.

C.U.
Henk Walraven

Quote:
> Thanks for the response.

> The DATA control does not have a DataSource or a DataField property.

> The problem is that the DATA control won't accept the recordset
> assignment. After executing the "Set Data1.Recordset = rs" statement,
> the Recordset still equals Nothing.

> I tried this out in a freshly-written progam with nothing else in it
> except what's shown in the Q-article. Apparently there is something
> else needed to make it work but I sure can't figure it out.

> Martin

> >There's not enough info here but I DO know that the article you mention
> >works.  What other code might be needed to make it work might be to set
the
> >"DataSource = <Usually Data1>" and "DataField = <FieldName>" properties
in
> >the Form_Load event.

> >Rich,

> >> I'm using VB6.
> >> DAO3.6 is checked in the References list.
> >> I create the MDB file in code using DAO.
> >> The MDB file is usable from Access 2000 without error or conversion.
> >> I can manipulate the MDB file from within VB using various DAO
> >> statements.

> >> What I can't get to work is the Data control.

> >> I have KB article Q238401 that supposedly addresses this issue. The
> >> example in that article does not work! The recordset is created (and
> >> can be manipulated in the immediate window) but the statement:
> >> Set Data1.Recordset = rs     does nothing.

> >> What else do I have to do?

> >> Martin

Thu, 15 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Thanks but  I'm using DAO, not ADO

Shown here is a complete listing of the code that won't work:

Option Explicit
Private DB As Database
Private rs As DAO.Recordset
Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim MDB$

MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

Set DB = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)
Set rs = daoDB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

Set Data1.Recordset = rs
Data1.Refresh

End Sub

When this sub completes, Data1.Recordset = Nothing. The Recordset "rs"
IS created - I can do all kinds of things with it; but assigning it to
the Data control does nothing - literally.

I ordered the service pack 3 - I'll apply that and see if it makes any
difference. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing
them.

Martin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:31:35 GMT, "Henk Walraven"

Quote:

>Hi,

>You have to open youre recordset. See the sample code

>Option Explicit

>Private WithEvents adoAdrCat As ADODB.Recordset

>Private Sub Form_Load()
>  Set adoAdrCat = New ADODB.Recordset

>  adoAdrCat.Open "SELECT * FROM AdresCategorien ORDER BY
>AdresCategorieCode", _
>      oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

>  Set grdAdrCat.DataSource = adoAdrCat                        ' datagrid
>  Set txtCategorieCode.DataSource = adoAdrCat            ' text field
>  Set txtCategorie.DataSource = adoAdrCat                    ' texfield

>'oConn' is a global connection in my software. The datafield property is
>filled in the designers property of the txtfields

>I hope this is wath youre looking for.

>C.U.
>Henk Walraven

>> Thanks for the response.

>> The DATA control does not have a DataSource or a DataField property.

>> The problem is that the DATA control won't accept the recordset
>> assignment. After executing the "Set Data1.Recordset = rs" statement,
>> the Recordset still equals Nothing.

>> I tried this out in a freshly-written progam with nothing else in it
>> except what's shown in the Q-article. Apparently there is something
>> else needed to make it work but I sure can't figure it out.

>> Martin

>> >There's not enough info here but I DO know that the article you mention
>> >works.  What other code might be needed to make it work might be to set
>the
>> >"DataSource = <Usually Data1>" and "DataField = <FieldName>" properties
>in
>> >the Form_Load event.

>> >Rich,

Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
I dont understand why you need a Data Control in addition to your RecordSet. But if
you must, visit http://www.johnsmiley.com/articles.htm for an article on a
workaround.

This URL http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm?RLD=377 has the lastest downloads
for MDAC and Jet 4. It also has a link to a 3rd party Data Control that claims to
allow VB5 and VB6 to seamlessly connect to Access 2000 MDBs.

Quote:

>Thanks but  I'm using DAO, not ADO

>Shown here is a complete listing of the code that won't work:

>Option Explicit
>Private DB As Database
>Private rs As DAO.Recordset
>Private Sub Form_Load()

>Dim MDB$

>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
>Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>Set DB = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)
>Set rs = daoDB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>Set Data1.Recordset = rs
>Data1.Refresh

>End Sub

>When this sub completes, Data1.Recordset = Nothing. The Recordset "rs"
>IS created - I can do all kinds of things with it; but assigning it to
>the Data control does nothing - literally.

>I ordered the service pack 3 - I'll apply that and see if it makes any
>difference. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing
>them.

>Martin

>On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:31:35 GMT, "Henk Walraven"

>>Hi,

>>You have to open youre recordset. See the sample code

>>Option Explicit

>>Private WithEvents adoAdrCat As ADODB.Recordset

>>Private Sub Form_Load()
>>  Set adoAdrCat = New ADODB.Recordset

>>  adoAdrCat.Open "SELECT * FROM AdresCategorien ORDER BY
>>AdresCategorieCode", _
>>      oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

>>  Set grdAdrCat.DataSource = adoAdrCat                        ' datagrid
>>  Set txtCategorieCode.DataSource = adoAdrCat            ' text field
>>  Set txtCategorie.DataSource = adoAdrCat                    ' texfield

>>'oConn' is a global connection in my software. The datafield property is
>>filled in the designers property of the txtfields

>>I hope this is wath youre looking for.

>>C.U.
>>Henk Walraven

>>> Thanks for the response.

>>> The DATA control does not have a DataSource or a DataField property.

>>> The problem is that the DATA control won't accept the recordset
>>> assignment. After executing the "Set Data1.Recordset = rs" statement,
>>> the Recordset still equals Nothing.

>>> I tried this out in a freshly-written progam with nothing else in it
>>> except what's shown in the Q-article. Apparently there is something
>>> else needed to make it work but I sure can't figure it out.

>>> Martin

>>the
>>in

Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Aloha,
Try changing your Set DB statement to the following:

Set DB = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)

Then change your Set rs statement to the following:

Set rs = DB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

Also, if your MDB$ assignment is not on one line you need to add the
line-continuation characters ( _). (That is a space followed by an underline.)
As in:

MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft" _
"Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

That should solve your problem.

Hope that is of some help.

Aloha,
PJ

Quote:

>Thanks but  I'm using DAO, not ADO

>Shown here is a complete listing of the code that won't work:

>Option Explicit
>Private DB As Database
>Private rs As DAO.Recordset
>Private Sub Form_Load()

>Dim MDB$

>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
>Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>Set DB = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)
>Set rs = daoDB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>Set Data1.Recordset = rs
>Data1.Refresh

>End Sub

>When this sub completes, Data1.Recordset = Nothing. The Recordset "rs"
>IS created - I can do all kinds of things with it; but assigning it to
>the Data control does nothing - literally.

>I ordered the service pack 3 - I'll apply that and see if it makes any
>difference. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing
>them.

>Martin

>On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:31:35 GMT, "Henk Walraven"

>>Hi,

>>You have to open youre recordset. See the sample code

>>Option Explicit

>>Private WithEvents adoAdrCat As ADODB.Recordset

>>Private Sub Form_Load()
>>  Set adoAdrCat = New ADODB.Recordset

>>  adoAdrCat.Open "SELECT * FROM AdresCategorien ORDER BY
>>AdresCategorieCode", _
>>      oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

>>  Set grdAdrCat.DataSource = adoAdrCat                        ' datagrid
>>  Set txtCategorieCode.DataSource = adoAdrCat            ' text field
>>  Set txtCategorie.DataSource = adoAdrCat                    ' texfield

>>'oConn' is a global connection in my software. The datafield property is
>>filled in the designers property of the txtfields

>>I hope this is wath youre looking for.

>>C.U.
>>Henk Walraven

>>> Thanks for the response.

>>> The DATA control does not have a DataSource or a DataField property.

>>> The problem is that the DATA control won't accept the recordset
>>> assignment. After executing the "Set Data1.Recordset = rs" statement,
>>> the Recordset still equals Nothing.

>>> I tried this out in a freshly-written progam with nothing else in it
>>> except what's shown in the Q-article. Apparently there is something
>>> else needed to make it work but I sure can't figure it out.

>>> Martin

>>the
>>in

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Thanks for the comments (and Aloha to you from chilly Chicago!)

I had tried "Set DB = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)" but
it makes no difference. The path/filename string IS all in one piece
in the actual program - my news group editor broke it into two lines.
Also, I had found the misnamed "daoDB" - before I posted the last
message I had cleaned out some extra stuff I had been trying and
missed that spelling. Actually, the program won't even run with that
in there.

I've still had no luck getting this to work. It appears to me that the
Data control itself must be broken or out-of-date or something. I am
going to apply SP3; if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll have to
re-install VB itself.

Martin

Quote:

>Aloha,
>Try changing your Set DB statement to the following:

>Set DB = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)

>Then change your Set rs statement to the following:

>Set rs = DB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>Also, if your MDB$ assignment is not on one line you need to add the
>line-continuation characters ( _). (That is a space followed by an underline.)
>As in:

>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft" _
>"Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>That should solve your problem.

>Hope that is of some help.

>Aloha,
>PJ

>>Thanks but  I'm using DAO, not ADO

>>Shown here is a complete listing of the code that won't work:

>>Option Explicit
>>Private DB As Database
>>Private rs As DAO.Recordset
>>Private Sub Form_Load()

>>Dim MDB$

>>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
>>Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>>Set DB = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)
>>Set rs = daoDB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>>Set Data1.Recordset = rs
>>Data1.Refresh

>>End Sub

>>When this sub completes, Data1.Recordset = Nothing. The Recordset "rs"
>>IS created - I can do all kinds of things with it; but assigning it to
>>the Data control does nothing - literally.

>>I ordered the service pack 3 - I'll apply that and see if it makes any
>>difference. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing
>>them.

>>Martin

>>On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:31:35 GMT, "Henk Walraven"

>>>Hi,

>>>You have to open youre recordset. See the sample code

>>>Option Explicit

>>>Private WithEvents adoAdrCat As ADODB.Recordset

>>>Private Sub Form_Load()
>>>  Set adoAdrCat = New ADODB.Recordset

>>>  adoAdrCat.Open "SELECT * FROM AdresCategorien ORDER BY
>>>AdresCategorieCode", _
>>>      oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

>>>  Set grdAdrCat.DataSource = adoAdrCat                        ' datagrid
>>>  Set txtCategorieCode.DataSource = adoAdrCat            ' text field
>>>  Set txtCategorie.DataSource = adoAdrCat                    ' texfield

>>>'oConn' is a global connection in my software. The datafield property is
>>>filled in the designers property of the txtfields

>>>I hope this is wath youre looking for.

>>>C.U.
>>>Henk Walraven

>>>the
>>>in

Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another Problem Using Access2000 MDB files with VB6
Aloha again,

Another thing you could try is add some more parameters to your Set rs
statement as follows:

Set rs = DB.OpenRecordset("Customers", dbOpenTable, dbSeeChanges,
dbOptimistic)    (all on one line of course, as you already know)

Hope that helps.

Aloha,
PJ

Quote:

>Thanks for the comments (and Aloha to you from chilly Chicago!)

>I had tried "Set DB = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)" but
>it makes no difference. The path/filename string IS all in one piece
>in the actual program - my news group editor broke it into two lines.
>Also, I had found the misnamed "daoDB" - before I posted the last
>message I had cleaned out some extra stuff I had been trying and
>missed that spelling. Actually, the program won't even run with that
>in there.

>I've still had no luck getting this to work. It appears to me that the
>Data control itself must be broken or out-of-date or something. I am
>going to apply SP3; if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll have to
>re-install VB itself.

>Martin

>>Aloha,
>>Try changing your Set DB statement to the following:

>>Set DB = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)

>>Then change your Set rs statement to the following:

>>Set rs = DB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>>Also, if your MDB$ assignment is not on one line you need to add the
>>line-continuation characters ( _). (That is a space followed by an underline.)

>>As in:

>>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft" _
>>"Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>>That should solve your problem.

>>Hope that is of some help.

>>Aloha,
>>PJ

>>>Thanks but  I'm using DAO, not ADO

>>>Shown here is a complete listing of the code that won't work:

>>>Option Explicit
>>>Private DB As Database
>>>Private rs As DAO.Recordset
>>>Private Sub Form_Load()

>>>Dim MDB$

>>>MDB$ = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
>>>Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.MDB"

>>>Set DB = Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(MDB$)
>>>Set rs = daoDB.OpenRecordset("Customers")

>>>Set Data1.Recordset = rs
>>>Data1.Refresh

>>>End Sub
>>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>When this sub completes, Data1.Recordset = Nothing. The Recordset "rs"
>>>IS created - I can do all kinds of things with it; but assigning it to
>>>the Data control does nothing - literally.

>>>I ordered the service pack 3 - I'll apply that and see if it makes any
>>>difference. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing
>>>them.

>>>Martin

>>>On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:31:35 GMT, "Henk Walraven"

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Access2000 mdb files?

2. Access2000 Unrecognized mdb in VB6

3. unable to open Access2000 mdb in VB6

4. open a MS Access2000 database MDB from VB6

5. ADOX Problem with replicated Access2000 .mdb

6. Export file *.mdb using VB6 HELP

7. Using mdb reference is allowed only from mdb file

8. Sharing problem writing to MDB file using WORD VBA code

9. using Access2000 database with VB6 Pro

10. Using Access2000 with VB6

11. Using vb6.0 to access table in Access2000

12. open a MS Access2000 database using VB6