Strange problem - VB5 crashing
Author Message
 Strange problem - VB5 crashing

When I click my Exit App button on my MDIForm, wich only calls
the End Statement, the App crashes, and sometimes, while
developping, VB5 Pro crashes to.... It also happnes if i call
Unload Me in the MainForm.

The strange part is that it doesn't follow any pattern... It just crashes
when it feels like it. And that doesn't happen when the user clicks
the close button on the control box.

It could be some DLL conflict with my VB, but the same thing happened
in Windows NT4 after installing the final app.

Anyone has a clue on whats happening?

Thanks in advance.

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Strange problem - VB5 crashing

I have little information on your app, but I think you are saying too soon
that it follows no pattern : check which other buttons are being pressed,

I really think it is a logical programm error, not a DLL fault.  I'm not
sure however.

Sven.

Quote:

>When I click my Exit App button on my MDIForm, wich only calls
>the End Statement, the App crashes, and sometimes, while
>developping, VB5 Pro crashes to.... It also happnes if i call
>Unload Me in the MainForm.

>The strange part is that it doesn't follow any pattern... It just crashes
>when it feels like it. And that doesn't happen when the user clicks
>the close button on the control box.

>It could be some DLL conflict with my VB, but the same thing happened
>in Windows NT4 after installing the final app.

>Anyone has a clue on whats happening?

>Thanks in advance.

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Strange problem - VB5 crashing

I have a similar problem!!! Only when I close VB5 the 'This application will
close' error message is displayed. It doesn't cause any major problems
but... its a pain man!!!

Quote:

>I have little information on your app, but I think you are saying too soon
>that it follows no pattern : check which other buttons are being pressed,

>I really think it is a logical programm error, not a DLL fault.  I'm not
>sure however.

>Sven.

>>When I click my Exit App button on my MDIForm, wich only calls
>>the End Statement, the App crashes, and sometimes, while
>>developping, VB5 Pro crashes to.... It also happnes if i call
>>Unload Me in the MainForm.

>>The strange part is that it doesn't follow any pattern... It just crashes
>>when it feels like it. And that doesn't happen when the user clicks
>>the close button on the control box.

>>It could be some DLL conflict with my VB, but the same thing happened
>>in Windows NT4 after installing the final app.

>>Anyone has a clue on whats happening?

>>Thanks in advance.

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Strange problem - VB5 crashing

I faced a similar problem. In my case it was bad programming:
I had a procedure (say P1) that was to display a message in a text box of
a form (say F1).  P1 would be called several times.

What I did was to create a new F1 everytime I entered P1 and when I left I
only hid the F1. So at the end of the program there were all these F1's
that were still in memory.

I fixed it by creating F1 outside of P1 and whenever I entered P1, I only
"show"ed F1. While exiting the program I "unload"ed F1 and things just
worked fine.

Bottom line: you might have some unloaded forms in your programs and
if there are too many of them, that will certainly crash the program or it
may not terminate the program completely.

-- Rahul

Quote:

> >Sven.

> >>When I click my Exit App button on my MDIForm, wich only calls
> >>the End Statement, the App crashes, and sometimes, while
> >>developping, VB5 Pro crashes to.... It also happnes if i call
> >>Unload Me in the MainForm.

> >>The strange part is that it doesn't follow any pattern... It just crashes
> >>when it feels like it. And that doesn't happen when the user clicks
> >>the close button on the control box.

> >>It could be some DLL conflict with my VB, but the same thing happened
> >>in Windows NT4 after installing the final app.

> >>Anyone has a clue on whats happening?

> >>Thanks in advance.

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Strange problem - VB5 crashing

Strange as it may sound, all of my forms have been unloaded.
The only form loaded in memory is MDIForm.
The only button being clicked is on the main form's toolBar.

At first I called the "unload Me" method to unload the form.
As the app started giving the error, i tried the "End" statement.
No luck.

It seems to happen more when the user previously opens
a Crystal Report Preview window (and it was closed at the time
of closing).

Just another VB strange goodie?

The app could fire the error, but VB SHOULD'T crash with stuff
like this!

Quote:

>I faced a similar problem. In my case it was bad programming:
>I had a procedure (say P1) that was to display a message in a text box of
>a form (say F1).  P1 would be called several times.

>What I did was to create a new F1 everytime I entered P1 and when I left I
>only hid the F1. So at the end of the program there were all these F1's
>that were still in memory.

>I fixed it by creating F1 outside of P1 and whenever I entered P1, I only
>"show"ed F1. While exiting the program I "unload"ed F1 and things just
>worked fine.

>Bottom line: you might have some unloaded forms in your programs and
>if there are too many of them, that will certainly crash the program or it
>may not terminate the program completely.

>-- Rahul

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Font in List box VB5 strange problem - Help needed

2. Strange VB5 DAO Problem

3. Strange VB5 Problem

4. VB5.0 PrintForm Strange Problem

5. Font in VB5.0 List box - Strange problem - Help needed

6. VB5.0 beta crash problem

7. Word Automation Crash (-2147417851) and other strange errors

8. VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls

9. VB crashes after I remove strange hidden controls

10. Strange VB6 IDE crash

11. Calling VB5 DLL with another VB5 DLL results in crashes

12. QUESTIONS (2) -- Memory problems and strange mouse problem