Need HELP choosing Database
Author Message
 Need HELP choosing Database

Help!! I'm researching relational database systems to convert to.  We presently are on a mainframe using key file structures.  I
want to move off of the mainframe and onto a PC based network (looking at the IBM RSC/6000 as a server) but cannot decide
on what database to convert to.

We presently write all our own aplications in COBOL and looking to use Visual Basic and/or Visual C++ for the applications on
the new platform.

I appreciate any insight on the database to use, on the IBM RSC/6000 system I am looking to use, and/or the programming
compilers I plan on switching to.

OH....some information on our company and our apllications.  We are a national manufacturing  company with four sites.  Main
applications are Direct Order Entry, Inventory Control/Tracking, Accounting (AR, AP, GL), and Billing.  There are approximately
50-75 users with 3 remote sites on lease lines connected to system.  I am on a very tight budget and need to keep cost down.

Thanks in advance......JMV

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Quote:

>Help!! I'm researching relational database systems to convert to.  We presently are on a mainframe using key file structures.  I
>want to move off of the mainframe and onto a PC based network (looking at the IBM RSC/6000 as a server) but cannot decide
>on what database to convert to.
>We presently write all our own aplications in COBOL and looking to use Visual Basic and/or Visual C++ for the applications on
>the new platform.
>I appreciate any insight on the database to use, on the IBM RSC/6000 system I am looking to use, and/or the programming
>compilers I plan on switching to.
>OH....some information on our company and our apllications.  We are a national manufacturing  company with four sites.  Main
>applications are Direct Order Entry, Inventory Control/Tracking, Accounting (AR, AP, GL), and Billing.  There are approximately
>50-75 users with 3 remote sites on lease lines connected to system.  I am on a very tight budget and need to keep cost down.
>Thanks in advance......JMV

Why not use IBM DB2 product?  It is native for the RSC/6000 and
you can easily connect to it with ODBC and use VB as a front end.

http://www.xnet.com/~kd9fb

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need HELP choosing Database

Quote:

> Help!! I'm researching relational database systems to convert to.  We

presently are on a mainframe using key file structures.  I
Quote:
> want to move off of the mainframe and onto a PC based network (looking

at the IBM RSC/6000 as a server) but cannot decide
Quote:
> on what database to convert to.

> We presently write all our own aplications in COBOL and looking to use

Visual Basic and/or Visual C++ for the applications on
Quote:
> the new platform.

> I appreciate any insight on the database to use, on the IBM RSC/6000

system I am looking to use, and/or the programming
Quote:
> compilers I plan on switching to.

> OH....some information on our company and our apllications.  We are a

national manufacturing  company with four sites.  Main
Quote:
> applications are Direct Order Entry, Inventory Control/Tracking,

Accounting (AR, AP, GL), and Billing.  There are approximately
Quote:
> 50-75 users with 3 remote sites on lease lines connected to system.  I

am on a very tight budget and need to keep cost down.

Quote:

> Thanks in advance......JMV

Because of the new pricing structures, I would strongly recommend you look
at DB2.
We are using Informix now because its good c/s support and general
price/performance  features but for larger user base it can get pretty
expensive.

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. help choosing a database

2. HELP - Choosing arrays or Database tables

3. need help choosing a control...

4. Need help choosing a telephone prompting system

5. Need help in choosing a telephone prompting system

6. Choose a database in a database - Access 97

7. What database to choose for extensive database usage.

8. Database Tables Disappearing - HELP HELP - Need Access Database specs

9. Help needed reading database on CD and writing to database on hard drive

10. How to make a setup program to use choose a DSN and/or database

11. Choosing a database server

12. Problems with choosing a Database