Need advice to speed up access to database
Author Message
 Need advice to speed up access to database

        I'm rewriting someone else's old code (yuck).

        They are attaching to a database via ODBC by:

        1. Creating a temporary database (*prior* to run-time;
           that is, it already exists, empty, before the app
           is even running).

        2. Creating Tabledefs for all of the tables.

        3. APPENDING the Tabledefs to the database.

        Does this sound right? Performance is atrocious.
        In addition to all this, it creates Snapshots of
        each table in entirety (there are about 10 of them,
        and they contain thousands of records).

        So even though EVERYTHING is effectively loaded onto
        my PC, it still runs horribly. I'm still checking code,
        but isn't there a faster way to do this?

        Should I use ODBCDirect? Attached tables? Or just
        create dynasets the way I did with VB3 (I'm using
        VB5).

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice to speed up access to database

Quote:

>         I'm rewriting someone else's old code (yuck).

>         They are attaching to a database via ODBC by:

>         1. Creating a temporary database (*prior* to run-time;
>            that is, it already exists, empty, before the app
>            is even running).

>         2. Creating Tabledefs for all of the tables.

>         3. APPENDING the Tabledefs to the database.

>         Does this sound right? Performance is atrocious.
>         In addition to all this, it creates Snapshots of
>         each table in entirety (there are about 10 of them,
>         and they contain thousands of records).

>         So even though EVERYTHING is effectively loaded onto
>         my PC, it still runs horribly. I'm still checking code,
>         but isn't there a faster way to do this?

>         Should I use ODBCDirect? Attached tables? Or just
>         create dynasets the way I did with VB3 (I'm using
>         VB5).

I would work with attached tables...that way you preserve all the
indexes and keys in the original tables.  This alone can speed searches
up quite a bit.  Plus, you don't have to copy all that data.

It appears that your app is read-only--at least, the original data is
only being copies to the tables and not updated later?  If true, it's
effectively read-only!

Read-only permissions can be set at the table level in the external DB
as desired....

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice to speed up access to database

Quote:

> >         I'm rewriting someone else's old code (yuck).

> >         They are attaching to a database via ODBC by:

> >         1. Creating a temporary database (*prior* to run-time;
> >            that is, it already exists, empty, before the app
> >            is even running).

> >         2. Creating Tabledefs for all of the tables.

> >         3. APPENDING the Tabledefs to the database.

> >         Does this sound right? Performance is atrocious.
> >         In addition to all this, it creates Snapshots of
> >         each table in entirety (there are about 10 of them,
> >         and they contain thousands of records).

> >         So even though EVERYTHING is effectively loaded onto
> >         my PC, it still runs horribly. I'm still checking code,
> >         but isn't there a faster way to do this?

> >         Should I use ODBCDirect? Attached tables? Or just
> >         create dynasets the way I did with VB3 (I'm using
> >         VB5).

> I would work with attached tables...that way you preserve all the
> indexes and keys in the original tables.  This alone can speed searches
> up quite a bit.  Plus, you don't have to copy all that data.

> It appears that your app is read-only--at least, the original data is
> only being copies to the tables and not updated later?  If true, it's
> effectively read-only!

> Read-only permissions can be set at the table level in the external DB
> as desired....

I'll probably try that. Another question (this is a bit harder).
I'm connecting to an Oracle Rdb database. From past experience it
usually was necessary for SQL Services to be running on the back end.

This app connects to about 10 tables. Actually, it appears to download
10 of them. If I use an attached table, is that going to create
separate processes for each connect on the back end? If so this might pose
a problem, since at some point in time many simultaneous users are
expected.

Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need advice accessing an Oracle database

2. Need Some Advice on Sharing Access Database Files

3. Need Some Advice on Sharing Access Database Files

4. BASIC SPEED/QB3 - Need Advice on Libraries - Help!

5. HELP! Need advice on distributed database

6. Need some database advice

7. need advice on VB database books

8. Need Advice on Graphics and Database

9. Need advice about best Database controls

10. Need advice on selecting database engine and hardware

11. Need advice on database and OS

12. Need advice on how to combine multiple databases into one