Which is the best language to learn?
Author Message
 Which is the best language to learn?

I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
career.

1. I have been involved with computers for several years, working with
an assortment of packages from search engines like Folio Views 3.1 to
building home pages with HTML. I realize that this does not much, but
I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
try to learn Peal first?

2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
Community Colleges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael A. Ward

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Quote:

>I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
>way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
>career.

>1. I have been involved with computers for several years, working with
>an assortment of packages from search engines like Folio Views 3.1 to
>building home pages with HTML. I realize that this does not much, but
>I have to start somewhere. So the question is this: If you were
>starting to learn how to program, would you start off learning C++,
>Visual Basic or what?. I am also very interested in learning to
>program for the Internet. Will these help or should I s{*filter*}these and
>try to learn Peal first?

>2. Is programing something that can be learned from a book, or is this
>something I will need to take classes in for a couple of years.

>3. What are some good resources for learning this programing -
>Community Colleges?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,

>Michael A. Ward

Visual Basic is as good a place to start as any other language.  You
might even try starting with an Access Database.  The Access Visual
Basic isn't too tough and is nearly the same as VB.

If you're a patient and persistant person then I would suggest getting
a good help book and coming up with a simple application you would
like to create (like a database of your CD's).  You will learn more
from running into questions and solving them than you ever will having
a professor walk you through examples.  As you get going you'll see
ways to improve and the next program you create will be better.

Good luck!

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Julie!!...I guess I am in the same situation as u.
I am a mechanical engineer by trade but I love computers and
programming.  I have done alot of programming In fortran..But fortran is
really boring.  Anyway..I want to learn how to program WWW (cgi-win) so
Visual Basic is definately a good language to do that with.  You might
also want to take a look at Java which is also good for WWW
applications.

Anyway...I believe Visual basic is also good for database development
using either excel or ms acess.. I am in the process of trying to learn
both of these programs so I can create a Database of AutoCad drawings.

So my choice would be visual basic...its seems very powerful, yet
simple!

good luck!

later!

P.S. I believe that U should first master the art of developing
algorithms, using a simple language.  Then learning other languages is
basically trying to learn the syntax!

Mon, 08 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which is the best language to learn?

Quote:

>I would like to learn how to program! However, I'm not sure the best
>way to start. These are some questions that I have concerning my new
>career.

Look in the Help wanted Ads in the Sunday Paper. Visual Basic is HOT
HOT HOT.

I suggest starting there!

Regards,
-Mike

Tue, 09 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am looking for the best book for learning VB.

2. Which is the best language to learn?

3. Which is the best language to learn?

4. Wondering if VB is a good language to learn

5. best language to learn directX

6. Is VB a good language to learn?

8. Best learning strategy for learning web database prog.

9. Wan'a learn another programing language.

10. trying to pick my frist language to learn

11. Learning new language

12. Learning new language