VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE
Author Message
 VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

I was able to access local databases (.mdb, .dbf) using either
MSAccess or VB with no problem.  However getting access into btrieve
(.ddf) databases was not so straight forward.  First it requires
WBTRCALL.dll  and WBTRVRES.dll, which I put into /windows.  Now when I
try to import/attach a FILE.ddf into Access or VB I keep getting the
following message-

        'Unexpected error from external database driver (20)'

Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?  Are there
other Btrieve files that need to be installed?  All the MS manuals
mention about the need for WBTRCALL.dll but nothingelse.

TIA

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

I had this prob a couple of years ago and I think (Now, I could be
wrong, maybe someone else can confirm this) that the problem was that
the btrieve version was more up-to-date and required a newer version
of the dll's

HTH

Quote:
>I was able to access local databases (.mdb, .dbf) using either
>MSAccess or VB with no problem.  However getting access into btrieve
>(.ddf) databases was not so straight forward.  First it requires
>WBTRCALL.dll  and WBTRVRES.dll, which I put into /windows.  Now when I
>try to import/attach a FILE.ddf into Access or VB I keep getting the
>following message-
>    'Unexpected error from external database driver (20)'
>Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?  Are there
>other Btrieve files that need to be installed?  All the MS manuals
>mention about the need for WBTRCALL.dll but nothingelse.
>TIA

* Grahame Newell,            *
* Newell Computer Services,  *
* Dublin, Ireland            *

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

Quote:

>I was able to access local databases (.mdb, .dbf) using either
>MSAccess or VB with no problem.  However getting access into btrieve
>(.ddf) databases was not so straight forward.  First it requires
>WBTRCALL.dll  and WBTRVRES.dll, which I put into /windows.  Now when I
>try to import/attach a FILE.ddf into Access or VB I keep getting the
>following message-
>    'Unexpected error from external database driver (20)'
>Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?  Are there
>other Btrieve files that need to be installed?  All the MS manuals
>mention about the need for WBTRCALL.dll but nothingelse.

This is a Btrieve error 20.  You need to check your Btrieve manuals and
find out what an error 20 is.

You probably also need to know what the rev level of your Btrieve files
are and what the rev level of the WBTRCALL.DLL file is; there are
incompatibilities across different revisions of Btrieve that may be at
work here.  I've seen apps using Btrieve 5.0 files that crash and burn
once you install Btrieve 6.0.

Bob Rossney

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

Quote:

>I was able to access local databases (.mdb, .dbf) using either
>MSAccess or VB with no problem.  However getting access into btrieve
>(.ddf) databases was not so straight forward.  First it requires
>WBTRCALL.dll  and WBTRVRES.dll, which I put into /windows.  Now when I
>try to import/attach a FILE.ddf into Access or VB I keep getting the
>following message-
>    'Unexpected error from external database driver (20)'

I believe the (20) = Record Manager Inactive, see your Btrieve docs.

I'm going to assume you're using Win 3.X:

Move WBTRCALL.DLL and WBTRVRES.DLL to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

Make sure the following lines are in your WIN.INI;
[btrieve]
Options=/m:64 /p:4096 /b:16 /f:20 /l:40 /n:12 /t:D:\VB3\BTRIEVE.TRN
Note: The option /t:D:\VB3\BTRIEVE.TRN must point to valid path and
transaction file on your system.

That should do it.

Frank Mokry

Wed, 24 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

Also check the WBTRCALL.DLL. There are 2 (one with 13K and the other with
51K). Only the 51K will work local. Check the www.btrieve.com. There is a
acc2btr.htm.

Jochen Janka

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB, ACCESS -- BTRIEVE

2. VB accessing Btrieve database

3. Btrieve - How can I access Btrieve files in VB 5.0

4. VB 5.0, Access 2.0 and Btrieve accessed through ISAMs

5. Accessing btrieve files with VB

6. Accessing Btrieve in VB 5.0

7. Help: attaching Btrieve-table in Access mdb using VB 4.0 16-bit

8. No Btrieve access under VB 4.0 32bit ??

9. Accessing BTrieve tables from VB

10. How do i access a Btrieve database with VB using indexes

11. Accessing Btrieve in VB 5.0

12. Help: attaching Btrieve table in Access 2.0 database using VB 4.0 16-bit