THE REAL WORLD
Author Message
 THE REAL WORLD

I've been rummaging through the classified section of recent newspapers. I
noticed that VB programmers were needed a lot. I was wondering, what
happened to Visual C++? Would this be a sign that if I were to learn a
visual language, VB would be the choice instead of VC++?

Can anyone tell me the biggest difference between the two visual languages.
And also, what is the most recent version of Visual Basic?

Thank you in advance,
William

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 THE REAL WORLD

Hello William,

VB is very widely used to develop business solutions, maybe even more widely
used the VC++.  But, VC++ is used much more than VB for writing commercial
applications for resale.  So, to answer you're question, it depends.  If you
plan to do in-house programming on consulting for businesses, then VB would
be a good choice to learn.  If you plan to develop (or work for a company
that develops) turn-key, prepackaged solutions for resale, I'd be sure to
learn VC++.

The current version of both products is 5.0.  You can get the enterprise
versions of both products as part of the new Visual Studio package from
Microsoft.  It includes VB, VC++, VJ++ (Java), Visual InterDev (Active
Server Page Development Environment, Internet/Intranet apps), SQL Server
Development Edition, Microsoft Image Composer, Visual Source Safe and some
other smaller optional tools.  A very good deal, and you're always sure you
own the right tool for the particular job.

For example, I am mostly a VB developer, but I find myself writing DLLs and
ActiveX controls in VC++ from time to time for performance reasons.
Although, with VB 5.0's support for callbacks and apartment modal threading,
along with the new native code compiler, I tend to use VC++ less with 32 bit
applications now.

I hope this helps,

--

Larry R. Tubbs Jr., MCPS, MCSD
Silverleaf Resorts Inc, NYSE: SVR

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/5727/

Quote:
>I've been rummaging through the classified section of recent newspapers. I
>noticed that VB programmers were needed a lot. I was wondering, what
>happened to Visual C++? Would this be a sign that if I were to learn a
>visual language, VB would be the choice instead of VC++?

>Can anyone tell me the biggest difference between the two visual languages.
>And also, what is the most recent version of Visual Basic?

>Thank you in advance,
>William

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Datagrid, Databinding and Real World Opinions

2. real world examples of inheritance?

3. Real World Programming VB4

4. Real World Input/Output

5. Real world projects for VB coding experience?

6. Is VB4 Useable in the Real World?

7. Real world projects for VB coding experience?

8. Lhotkas CSLA architecture - real world example !?!

9. The real world

10. Real World RecordSet Limits

11. Lhotkas CSLA architecture - real world example !?!

12. Classes and Objects in the Real World