VB5 & Informix (explanation)
Author Message
 VB5 & Informix (explanation)

We have a VB5 application which uses RDO and ODBC to connect to a
Informix Server database.
I have a problem...
I try to find records in a SELECT statment using a JOIN with another
table.

TABLE letter:
 letr_id     : SERIAL
 letr_status : CHAR(4)
 letr_type   : SERIAL
TABLE type:
 type_id     : SERIAL
 type_number : INTEGER
 type_desc   : TEXT

THE FIELD letr_type IN TABLE letter IS USED TO REFER TO RECORD IN TABLE
type WITH FIELD type_id.
I HAVE 10 ROWS IN TABLE letter AND 5 ROWS IN TABLE type.

IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
    SELECT type_id, type_number, type_desc FROM type

THIS QUERY RETURN 5 ROW
NO PROBLEM TO FIND RECORD WITH BLOB DATATYPE(TEXT)

IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
    SELECT letr_id, letr_status, type_number
 FROM letter, OUTER type
        WHERE letter.letr_type = type.type_id
        ORDER BY letr_status

THIS QUERY RETURN 10 ROW
NO PROBLEM TO FIND RECORD WITH JOIN TABLE WITHOUT BLOB DATATYPE(TEXT)

IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
    SELECT letr_id, letr_status, type_number, type_desc
 FROM letter, OUTER type
 WHERE letter.letr_type = type.type_id
        ORDER BY letr_status

THIS QUERY RETURN 0 ROW
WHY ???
Could someone help me ?

Regards,
Fabrice

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 & Informix (explanation)
Hi,

 What is the size of type_desc, if it exceeds more than 64 K u may have
to select portion of the data or u completly ignore that field

Regards
Dev

Quote:

> We have a VB5 application which uses RDO and ODBC to connect to a
> Informix Server database.
> I have a problem...
> I try to find records in a SELECT statment using a JOIN with another
> table.

> TABLE letter:
>  letr_id     : SERIAL
>  letr_status : CHAR(4)
>  letr_type   : SERIAL
> TABLE type:
>  type_id     : SERIAL
>  type_number : INTEGER
>  type_desc   : TEXT

> THE FIELD letr_type IN TABLE letter IS USED TO REFER TO RECORD IN TABLE
> type WITH FIELD type_id.
> I HAVE 10 ROWS IN TABLE letter AND 5 ROWS IN TABLE type.

> IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
>     SELECT type_id, type_number, type_desc FROM type

> THIS QUERY RETURN 5 ROW
> NO PROBLEM TO FIND RECORD WITH BLOB DATATYPE(TEXT)

> IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
>     SELECT letr_id, letr_status, type_number
>  FROM letter, OUTER type
>         WHERE letter.letr_type = type.type_id
>         ORDER BY letr_status

> THIS QUERY RETURN 10 ROW
> NO PROBLEM TO FIND RECORD WITH JOIN TABLE WITHOUT BLOB DATATYPE(TEXT)

> IF I RUN THIS QUERY :
>     SELECT letr_id, letr_status, type_number, type_desc
>  FROM letter, OUTER type
>  WHERE letter.letr_type = type.type_id
>         ORDER BY letr_status

> THIS QUERY RETURN 0 ROW
> WHY ???
> Could someone help me ?

> Regards,
> Fabrice

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB5 & Informix

2. VB5 & Informix

3. Definition & Explanation of Reflection

4. Problem: VB6, Informix OLE DB, Informix Client SDK 2.30

5. Problem: VB6, Informix OLE DB, Informix Client SDK 2.30

6. Problem: VB6, Informix OLE DB, Informix Client SDK 2.30

7. Problem: VB6, Informix OLE DB, Informix Client SDK 2.30

8. INFORMIX & VB

9. VB & Informix stored procedures

10. ODBC & Informix

11. VB & Informix ISAM Question