Hi All,
  Iam trying to do a preliminary design for a scheduling schema to be
used to schedule reports. The process is
#1. Users could select a report and schedule it to be delivered at one
more more times during a month. This data needs to be stored in a
database and another service would need to access this table from the
dB and create and send the report thur fax or by email.
#2. I thought I could easily borrow the idea from the UN*X world of
cron and use comma delimited fields to be implemented in the database,
however if the user selects a report to be delivered at 11:15A.M. on
1st of every month and 2:00P.M. on 15th of every month, it would mean
two different entries in the database. Since there's a lot of metadata
which accompanies the report, this may not be the most ideal
situation.

I was wondering if any one had any good ideas/expereinces implementing
such requests.

Thanks
sd

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:29:30 GMT
 report scheduling design in visual basic

Quote:

> Hi All,
>   Iam trying to do a preliminary design for a scheduling schema to be
> used to schedule reports. The process is
> #1. Users could select a report and schedule it to be delivered at one
> more more times during a month. This data needs to be stored in a
> database and another service would need to access this table from the
> dB and create and send the report thur fax or by email.
> #2. I thought I could easily borrow the idea from the UN*X world of
> cron and use comma delimited fields to be implemented in the database,
> however if the user selects a report to be delivered at 11:15A.M. on
> 1st of every month and 2:00P.M. on 15th of every month, it would mean
> two different entries in the database. Since there's a lot of metadata
> which accompanies the report, this may not be the most ideal
> situation.

> I was wondering if any one had any good ideas/expereinces implementing
> such requests.

> Thanks
> sd

You can solve the amount of data duplicated by having two tables.

one is the report definition.
the other is the scheduling times - and perhaps some override
parameters for the report.( like requesting userid, destination
printer etc.)

This means your scheduler would read the scheduling times, and then
access the report definition table for the rest of the info.

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:58:12 GMT

1. Visual scheduling software for Visual Basic databases

2. Scheduling DTS package thru Visual Basic

3. Visual Basic & Schedule+

4. Help on Schedule+ (OLE Server) and Visual Basic

5. Schedule Control in Visual Basic

6. Access opening Excel sheet in visual basic design mode

7. Visual Basic design problem