Using SQL Server to store large text files
Author Message
 Using SQL Server to store large text files

Hello,

I am trying to use SQL Server to store text files in order to make each
searchable. Initially I wanted use the contains operation to do fuzzy
string matching to allow for wildcard searches. The problem I am having
is I can make a text field in a table but how do I store the entire
text file which is like 82k into this database field.

I am using ADO, and a table with a text field which I understand will
handle data greater than 82k. I read something about Micorsoft Indexing
service which will allow me to query the files directly from the drive.
This seems like a better solution but how do I set this up?

Please mail any suggestions to the address on this post.

Thank you..

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Using SQL Server to store large text files
Use the TEXT type and then enable the FULL-TEXT Search engine that comes with
SQL 7.  Full details in the books-online

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (400 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Using SQL Server to store large text files
You need to examine the maintenance aspects first of all of storing
huge text files in sql server; this is not what it was made for.  Yes
you can do it but like a lot of these things, I question the wisdom.
You are much better off storing directory listings and filenames of
these text files, and then using a front end VB application to
parse/search/do pattern matching.  You are really asking for trouble on
this one.  I get the feeling you are trying to do some kind of document
management thing and this is NOT the way to do it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: Calling Stored Procedure w/large output from VB6 (using SQL Server)

2. HELP: Calling Stored Procedure w/large output from VB6 (using SQL Server)

3. HELP: Calling Stored Procedure w/large output from VB6 (using SQL Server)

4. STore Text files in a SQL SERVER

5. Problem retrieving large text fields from SQL Server

6. SQL Server Large Text Fields

7. using DTS to import a text file in SQL Server 7.0 with VB6

8. How can I import a text file into a sql server using Visual basic5

9. Text box control: storing a large amounf of text

10. Problem with Crystal Reports and Excel OLE-object stored in SQL Server 6.5 and vertical text

11. Import text file in SQL Server 6.5 via SQL in Visual Basic

12. Storing Non-Text Data in SQL Server