SQL Server slow on some workstations
Author Message
 SQL Server slow on some workstations

I am having a problem because SQL Server 6.5 is much slower from some
workstations than others using VB 4.0 as the interface.  It is the same
program, uses RDO connections, on 100mbit ethernet going through the same
switch.  In addition, they all use the same brand of Ethernet board
(Intel).  I am assuming that it must be related to some different versions
of dlls or a configuration issue.

Can you suggest some areas to look?

Thanks for any help.

Don

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server slow on some workstations

What network protocol are you using?  Supposedly named pipes is very
slow compared to TCP/IP when connecting to SQL 6.5.  (A bug in
drivers, i believe)

As an aside, if you are using TCP/IP, did you have to install SQL
Server client utilities on the client side to get it to work?

Quote:
>I am having a problem because SQL Server 6.5 is much slower from some
>workstations than others using VB 4.0 as the interface.  It is the same
>program, uses RDO connections, on 100mbit ethernet going through the same
>switch.  In addition, they all use the same brand of Ethernet board
>(Intel).  I am assuming that it must be related to some different versions
>of dlls or a configuration issue.

>Can you suggest some areas to look?

>Thanks for any help.

>Don

Thu, 07 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server slow on some workstations

Thanks for responding.  I am using named pipes.  I thought that named pipes
was supposed to be the fastest.  On the other hand, all the workstations,
fast and slow are using named pipes.  Out of curiosity though, I will try
it with TCP/IP. (And, I will probably try the client utilities to set it up
with SQL )  Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:

> What network protocol are you using?  Supposedly named pipes is very
> slow compared to TCP/IP when connecting to SQL 6.5.  (A bug in
> drivers, i believe)

> As an aside, if you are using TCP/IP, did you have to install SQL
> Server client utilities on the client side to get it to work?

Sat, 09 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server slow on some workstations

Quote:
>I am having a problem because SQL Server 6.5 is much slower from some
>workstations than others using VB 4.0 as the interface.  It is the same
>program, uses RDO connections, on 100mbit ethernet going through the same
>switch.  In addition, they all use the same brand of Ethernet board
>(Intel).  I am assuming that it must be related to some different versions
>of dlls or a configuration issue.

>Can you suggest some areas to look?

>Thanks for any help.

>Don

We had this trouble at our shop and found that the slow machines were
set up to use two protocols.  Removing all protocols except TCP/IP
solved the problem, reducing the return time for queries by 90% in
some instances.

| Tom Childers - ArlTex Software - Arlington, Texas        |

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

2. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Workstation

3. SQL Server and NT Workstation and VB Pro

4. Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

5. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Workstation

6. Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

7. Installing SQL server on NT workstation or professional

8. SQL Server on NT Workstation???

9. SQL Server Developer and NT 4 Workstation

10. Where is the Workstation Edition of SQL Server?

11. Installing SQL Server on NT 4 Workstation

12. SQL Server slower than Jet, why???