Connecting to Oracle with Data Environment Designer/ADO
Author Message
 Connecting to Oracle with Data Environment Designer/ADO

I am attempting to use VB6 Professional Edition to connect to an
Oracle 7.3.2.2 database running on an SCO Openserver 5.04 system.
The Oracle database instance is named WG73.

What is the proper way to fill in the Data Link Properties dialogue?

Under the Connection tab there are blanks for
  server name
  user name
  password
and checkboxes for
Blank Password and Allow Saving of Password.

There is no place to put the name of the database instance.
I have tried various ways of inserting it into the existing blanks.
All fail with the same Oracle error:

  ORA-12154:TNS:could not resolve service name

when I try Test Connection.

What is the correct way to do this?

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Connecting to Oracle with Data Environment Designer/ADO
I'm not yet using VB6 but what I 've read at this time, is that VB6 is able
to work "properly" with Oracle version 7.3.3 and later.
So I would like to know if it works efficiently with Oracle 7.3.2.2.

Quote:
>I am attempting to use VB6 Professional Edition to connect to an
>Oracle 7.3.2.2 database running on an SCO Openserver 5.04 system.
>The Oracle database instance is named WG73.

>What is the proper way to fill in the Data Link Properties dialogue?

>Under the Connection tab there are blanks for
>  server name
>  user name
>  password
>and checkboxes for
>Blank Password and Allow Saving of Password.

>There is no place to put the name of the database instance.
>I have tried various ways of inserting it into the existing blanks.
>All fail with the same Oracle error:

>  ORA-12154:TNS:could not resolve service name

>when I try Test Connection.

>What is the correct way to do this?

Sun, 20 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data Environment Designer & Personal Oracle 8

2. ADO & Data Environment Designer

3. ADO Data Environment and ORACLE

4. data report / data environment designers

5. data report / data environment designers

6. Data Report Designer and Data Environment Problem

7. Data Report Designer and Data Environment

8. How to use ADO Data Control to connect ot Oracle 8 Database

9. Can ADO connect to Oracle without Oracle client???

10. Data Project, data environment & Oracle

11. Data Environment Designer

12. Data Environment Designer