wfw network
Author Message
 wfw network

Hello there,

I have written a VB application heavily based on databases (Access)
and I want to use this program on a Windows for Workgroups network.
I want one computer to be the 'server' with all the databases and the
others to be 'clients', running the main program but using the
databases on the server. I am not a network expert. Can this be done ?
How ??? And where can I get more information on the subject ?

(I tried changing the DatabaseName property on the 'client'program but
I experienced errors and strange behaviour, what am I doing wrong ?)

thanx and bye,
Louck Sitskoorn

Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 wfw network

Quote:
> I have written a VB application heavily based on databases (Access)
> and I want to use this program on a Windows for Workgroups network.
> I want one computer to be the 'server' with all the databases and the
> others to be 'clients', running the main program but using the
> databases on the server. I am not a network expert. Can this be done ?
> How ??? And where can I get more information on the subject ?

> (I tried changing the DatabaseName property on the 'client'program but
> I experienced errors and strange behaviour, what am I doing wrong ?)

Hi Louck.. Put your database on your "server" machine, and share the
directory it is in. For each client, establish a permanent connection
to the shared drive using a new drive letter on the client machine.

You will need to allow the path where the database is stored to be
specified in your program (e.g. through the command line using
Command$, through an .ini file, etc).. When you open a database
using OpenDatabase, add the pathname to the start of the database
filename. For data controls, have no DatabaseName property set at
design time, and then set this property (adding in the pathname),
during the Form Load procedure of the respective form..

Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 wfw network

Quote:

>Hello there,
>I have written a VB application heavily based on databases (Access)
>and I want to use this program on a Windows for Workgroups network.
>I want one computer to be the 'server' with all the databases and the
>others to be 'clients', running the main program but using the
>databases on the server. I am not a network expert. Can this be done ?
>How ??? And where can I get more information on the subject ?
>(I tried changing the DatabaseName property on the 'client'program but
>I experienced errors and strange behaviour, what am I doing wrong ?)

First you must share the harddrive on the server, with read and write
access.

Second, you must make sure all the clients have mapped the server
drive in file manager to ...lest's say drive L:

Third you must set the Data1.DataBaseName = "L:\MyDB.MDB"

alternative to 2 and 3 is to let the users choose the path to the
database server themselves, and set DataBaseName accordingly.

Dag.

Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Errors with sharing msaccess.exe over WFW network

2. Synchronising time across a WFW network

3. Visual basic and WfW network?

4. Installing VB Apps on networked WFW systems

5. Getting network names in WFW/Win95

6. Accessing the WFW 3.11 Network API

7. WFW 3.11 / Networks and DDE

8. ----- Help ----- Trying to run a 4.0 pgm in wfw 3.1.1

9. Visual Basic 4.0 and MsAccess 2.0 for WFW 3.11

10. Multiple logon problem ( WFW/ODBC/SQL Server)

11. HC31 With WFW 6.0 Help

12. PRB: Connect to SQL on NT 3.5 from WFW 3.11 via TCP/IP sockets