Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5
Author Message
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

        I develop on Visual Basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...

I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
access...
Any suggestions???

The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with data
controls in them!!!...

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

Switch to RDO and eliminate the data controls.  That alone will make your
apps much faster.

If that isn't enough then once you no longer have data controls determining
when and how the app is connected to the database (once at the beginning
during the display of your splash screen is usually good) and when and how
the data is loaded into the controls you can do some very simple but
effective things to make every form load virtually instantaneously.

Email me if you are interested in some performance tips.

Quote:
>    I develop on visual basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...

> I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
> access...
> Any suggestions???

> The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with data
> controls in them!!!...

Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

Quote:

>         I develop on visual basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...

> I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
> access...
> Any suggestions???

> The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with data
> controls in them!!!...

I would not use data control. When connected through ODBC, is it updatable?
Jeff Hong YAN

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

Replace the data controls with unbound controls and use Recordset objects
instead.  I converted a form with about 10 data controls and associated
DBcombo boxes to unbound combo boxes and no data controls and the form load
time dropped from 15+ seconds to 2 or 3.  It requires a lot more coding to
populate your combo and list boxes as well as manually handling
Adds/Updates/Deletes but the payoff is dramatic speed improvements and
better control of the flow of data in your app.  Once your comfortable with
DAO then you can try direct ODBC calls to SQL server for the ultimate power
and speed.

Another option, if you have it, is RDO which basically offers the same
functionality of the Jet data control but bypasses th Jet engine and uses
ODBC instead.  Should be much faster in your case.

Good luck,

Gregg

Quote:
>    I develop on visual basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...

> I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
> access...
> Any suggestions???

> The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with data
> controls in them!!!...

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

------=_NextPart_000_01BC5306.9E4D3360

I agree with Hong Yan.  Dump the data control and go to strait DAO or even
better, RDO.  I've written thousands of lines of code utilizing RDO against
MS SQL databases, and find it to be very effective.

William McCandless
Keystone Integration, Inc.

Quote:

> >         I develop on visual basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT
server...

> > I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
> > access...
> > Any suggestions???

> > The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with
data
> > controls in them!!!...

> I would not use data control. When connected through ODBC, is it
updatable?
> Jeff Hong YAN

------=_NextPart_000_01BC5306.9E4D3360

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">I agree with Hong Yan. &nbsp;<b>Dump =
the data control </b>and go to strait DAO or even better, RDO. =
&nbsp;I've written thousands of lines of code utilizing RDO against MS =
SQL databases, and find it to be very effective.<br><br>William =

color=3D"#000000">&gt; wrote in article &lt;<font =

&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I develop on visual =
basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...<br>&gt; &gt; <br>&gt; =
&gt; I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables =
would not use data control. When connected through ODBC, is it =
------=_NextPart_000_01BC5306.9E4D3360--

Thu, 14 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

Hi Frank,
after wasting very much time with data Controls and even Remote Data
control I made the same experience as you. Throw those bound things out of
the window when you want to manage large SQL Databases.(It is also a big
adventure to use Visual basic for real working client/server programs.) But
here we are ...
Perhaps you got a good idea to my problem with noticing errors occurring in
the database server.
We Use RDO (VB5) and Sybase SQL Anywhere and when I do things like breaking
the integrity of the DB my program breaks down without identifying an
error. When I do the same thing in the Sybase ISQL direktly I get my
messages. But it seems that VB (or the ODBC-Driver?) has no chance to
receive the messages. Am I to stupid to do a real error handling, or is it
as difficult as it seems.

Nice, if you notice my question. I could help in other situations.

Thomas

Quote:
> Switch to RDO and eliminate the data controls.  That alone will make your
> apps much faster.

> If that isn't enough then once you no longer have data controls
determining
> when and how the app is connected to the database (once at the beginning
> during the display of your splash screen is usually good) and when and
how
> the data is loaded into the controls you can do some very simple but
> effective things to make every form load virtually instantaneously.

> Email me if you are interested in some performance tips.

> >       I develop on visual basic 4.0 with SQl server 6.5 on an NT server...

> > I use the jet database engine and linked ODBC SQL server tables for
> > access...
> > Any suggestions???

> > The main problem relies on the time it takes to open the forms with
data
> > controls in them!!!...

Tue, 19 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Import text file in SQL Server 6.5 via SQL in Visual Basic

2. Import text file in SQL Server 6.5 via SQL in Visual Basic

3. Visual Basic RDO and SQL Server 6.5 null Problem

4. Connection errors with Visual Basic 4 16-bit and SQL server 6.5 on a 3.11 platform

5. VB 6.0 & SQl server 6.5

6. VB & SQL Server 6.5 Contract

7. VB 6.0 & SQL Server 6.5

8. SQL Server 6.5 & VB6 ADO

9. VB6: Data Environment & SQL Server 6.5

10. NEWBIE:VB & SQL Server 6.5 Bound Controls

11. VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

12. VB5 & SQL Server 6.5