dbase III convert to Access or VB
Author Message
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

I was assigned a project to take all DOS based programs and tranfers them
into windows 3.x or 95/NT programs.

The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

Thanks in advanced.

Chris

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Quote:
>I was assigned a project to take all DOS based programs and tranfers them
>into windows 3.x or 95/NT programs.

>The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

>Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

Since dBaseIII used a very different paradigm than Access/VB does, I
would not expect a simple converter to exist (though it's potentially
possible).  You might look into FoxPro, which may be closer to the
dBase way of doing things than Access/VB are, if that's an option for
you.

--

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Quote:
> I was assigned a project to take all DOS based programs and tranfers them
> into windows 3.x or 95/NT programs.

> The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

> Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

Access will import directly from a dbase III file.

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

You can exsport to text from dbIII , one line is 1 record and a " ;"
between the fields.
then you can import this file into a access or VB.

Trond

Quote:
> I was assigned a project to take all DOS based programs and tranfers them
> into windows 3.x or 95/NT programs.

> The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

> Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

> Thanks in advanced.

> Chris

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Quote:

>Since dBaseIII used a very different paradigm than Access/VB does, I

I was thinking of dBase *programs*, not dBase *data files*.  Access
will, of course, import dBase data files directly as Ron points out.

--

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Just try Access 2.0 or 7.0. There, you will be able to import several kinds
of files. Very simple and easy.
But, if you prefer, you can still use your DBFs in their original format
with VB.

Eugenio Reis

Quote:

>I was assigned a project to take all DOS based programs and tranfers them
>into windows 3.x or 95/NT programs.

>The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

>Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

>Thanks in advanced.

Chris

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Quote:
> The problem I ran into is changing dbase III to Access or VB.

> Does anbyone have a converter or a simplified way of doing this?

I had a similar project.  But, instead of converting everything from
FoxPro( ver 2.6 for DOS) to Access I just attached the xBase tables to an
Access database.  Works just fine.  Attaching tables can be done with code
or using Access or even the VisData program that comes with Visual Basic.
Dbase III tables can also be attached to Access databases and manipulated
using DAO or SQL.

If you must convert Dbase III to .mdb then my suggestion would be to create
the database and tables using Access.  Then with VB code and SQL statements
move the data from one format to the other.  But this seems way more
trouble than necessary.

Need more details just ask.  Hope this helps.

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

Now is there a way to transfer the .prg files?

That is the current problem.

Quote:

> >Since dBaseIII used a very different paradigm than Access/VB does, I

> I was thinking of dBase *programs*, not dBase *data files*.  Access
> will, of course, import dBase data files directly as Ron points out.

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 dbase III convert to Access or VB

There is no way to "transfer" the .prg files from dBase to VB. You simply
need to rewrite the functionality of the user interface and application
logic
using VB.

Note: you could write an application to convert the dBase modules into
VB applications, but this would take a significant amount of time to code
and test adequately. In the end, you probably would not be satisfied with
the results.

Michael D. Long

------------------------------------

Quote:
> Now is there a way to transfer the .prg files?

> That is the current problem.

Wed, 01 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Converting from Access tables to dBase III files

2. Converting from Access tables to dBase III files

3. access dBASE III with VB 6

4. VB# won't access dbase III file

5. NEED HELP IMPORTING DBASE III INTO ACCESS VIA VB 5

6. Converting dBase III tables -> SQL databases

7. open dbase type dbase III

8. Access 2.0 to dBase III

9. saving Access Tables to dbase III file format

10. dBASE III access and searching across fields

11. can't access dbase III external database

12. dBase III access, won't work ????