Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
Author Message
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

Quote:

>I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
>developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
>Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

Well it certainly does in my case.  Currently, as a certified Access
developer the client rate billed by my employer for my skills is $35 -
$45 an hour.  (I get a nice percentage.)

When I complete Solution Provider certification, and get certified in
VB, my rate should increase to $40 - $60.  Add on SQL-Server, and it
should increase the range another $10.  This all depends on who you
work for or how good you are at marketing yourself.  I'm still new at
my company - our highest paid consultant made over $130k last year -
he's certified out the wazoo.  Never forget, of course, that
certification needs to be backed up by performance.  Just cause
someone does well on the SAT doesn't mean they'll study in college and
get an A. :)

Quote:
>How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

$100 per test - 1 test for VB certification, 4 tests for Solution
Provider certification (2 WOSA, 2 elective), 6 tests for System
Engineer (only carry over from SP is SQL-Server Implementation).  More
information is available from the Roadmap to Certification - call
1-800-SOL-PROV and MS will send you a free disk.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Charles M. "Chuck" Haeberle - Travelin' Jack
Software Consortium, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Professional

!!!What do you mean, "Query too complex."!?!!!

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Vin Syrek

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

[snip]

Quote:
>When I complete Solution Provider certification, and get certified in
>VB, my rate should increase to $40 - $60.  Add on SQL-Server, and it
>should increase the range another $10.

There are many factors that determine pay scale aside from
certification.  My pay scale was $18 per hour with some experience I
received in the military and 3 yrs of a bachelors.  I moved to $20
after my first "large" project was completed.  I received $35 after I
completed my degree and $45 about 2 projects later (6-8 months).  Now
after about 18 months I get somewhat more!  But, no certification
required and this is all part-time as I am still in the military.

  On my current VB contract, we started with a rep working full time
for the client, a certified (VB, and Access also I think) program
manager, and myself.  After 3 days, there was just the client's rep
and myself, now I alone am completing the project.

My best friend pulls in 100k+ in Dallas and he isn't certified, just
been doing it for 8-10 years--he's a civilian of course.  Experience,
productivity and quality are the factors that really count.  I wish I
could say education didn't play a factor since it always starts a war
of words in the newsgroups, but it does influence getting an interview
and pay scale.

Bottom line: it isn't worthless considering the cost.  However, just
because your certified doesn't mean everything.

Jeff

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

2. Does Microsoft Certification mean $$$?

3. Assistant not doing anything because system is busy?

4. anything special that needs to be done for Terminal Server

5. Has anyone done anything adventurous in VB.Net??

6. ShellExecute - can anything be done with task ID?

7. Need help with your Microsoft Certifications?

8. Microsoft Certification

9. Microsoft VB Certification

10. Microsoft Certification

11. MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS ARE BOGUS!