VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
Author Message
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please

-- I hate to bring up such a controversial issue, but I feel like I need
closure on this.  How come so many people rail against VB (particularly VC++
programmers).  Is it only because it's not a true object-oriented language
(no inheritance)?...is memory management the issue?  I also have seen VB
referred to as more of a "scripting language" than anything else, best
suited to the needs of novice programmers.  What the hell is a scripting
language?.

I am by no means an expert programmer, but I do create my share of complex
DB apps and am consistently surprised by VB's capabilities.  I am alone on
this one?

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
Jack
Just because some people say that VC++ (or any other language ) is better
than VB what differnece does it make? if it suits your needs and you like it
you should use it. If you just want to program in a "better" language for
the sake of it, then that is differnet issue. A language is suitable for
some needs and not others. You need to use a language suitable for your
needs, not the other way round.

If you feel using vb inferior to using C++ then you may change your
language. At least you will have satifaction of not getting lagged behind.

Thanks,
--Reddy.

Quote:

>-- I hate to bring up such a controversial issue, but I feel like I need
>closure on this.  How come so many people rail against VB (particularly
VC++
>programmers).  Is it only because it's not a true object-oriented language
>(no inheritance)?...is memory management the issue?  I also have seen VB
>referred to as more of a "scripting language" than anything else, best
>suited to the needs of novice programmers.  What the hell is a scripting
>language?.

>I am by no means an expert programmer, but I do create my share of complex
>DB apps and am consistently surprised by VB's capabilities.  I am alone on
>this one?

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
Visual Basic is a great tool.  In my opinion, it covers 98% of what I want
to accomplish.  Now for that other 2%.  Currently, there are somethings you
just can't do in Visual Basic (at least yet).  My 2 biggest complaints;
- VB lacks pointer support.  Some Win32 API stuff just can't be done nicely
without these features.  You can hack your way around a lot of these but you
are never guaranteed they will work from version to version.
- VB classes lack robust construction.  In C++ you can write many different
constructors for your classes but in VB you are limited to 2 step
construction.  This means that Class_Initialize is the only construction the
class gets and that initialization must be done via a separate
subroutine/function.  Further, to be robust, each member function should now
check to see if the class has been properly initialized and raise an error
if it has not been.

As for inheritance, VB can get "inheritance" through delegation and
containment.  This is known as interface inheritance.  What VB does not do
is implementation inheritance and that is because COM does not do it either.
The reason being that implementation inheritance binds one object to another
rather tightly.  If the base object changes, the derived objects break and
need to be changed as well.  Some C++ experts state that when writing a
large application you use a foundation of abstract base classes only.
Abstract base classes are pure interface inheritance and is why COM does not
support implementation inheritance.  So VB does the "right" inheritance
according to some people.

C++ is generally faster than VB but how much and on what level?  No one will
ever settle the question of which is "better" because there is no one right
answer.  VB is good and has been getting better (although I consider version
6 a huge disappointment) can will hopefully continue to evolve.  Personally,
I use VB for everything I can and then jump to a C++ COM object or DLL for
the things it can't do and add that to my VB project.

Thats my take on the subject.
--
Karl Westberg, MCP

Quote:

>-- I hate to bring up such a controversial issue, but I feel like I need
>closure on this.  How come so many people rail against VB (particularly
VC++
>programmers).  Is it only because it's not a true object-oriented language
>(no inheritance)?...is memory management the issue?  I also have seen VB
>referred to as more of a "scripting language" than anything else, best
>suited to the needs of novice programmers.  What the hell is a scripting
>language?.

>I am by no means an expert programmer, but I do create my share of complex
>DB apps and am consistently surprised by VB's capabilities.  I am alone on
>this one?

begin 666 Karl Westberg, MCP.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..E=E<W1B97)G.TMA<FP-"D9.

M8F5R9T!S;F5T+FYE= T*4D56.C$Y.3DP-3(X5#$S,3$U,5H-"D5.1#I60T%2
#1 T*
`
end

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
Quote:

> -- I hate to bring up such a controversial issue, but I feel like I
need
> closure on this.  How come so many people rail against VB
(particularly VC++
> programmers).  Is it only because it's not a true object-oriented
language
> (no inheritance)?...is memory management the issue?  I also have seen
VB
> referred to as more of a "scripting language" than anything else, best
> suited to the needs of novice programmers.  What the hell is a
scripting
> language?.

> I am by no means an expert programmer, but I do create my share of
complex
> DB apps and am consistently surprised by VB's capabilities.  I am
alone on
> this one?

There is no closure on this problem...
There is only to wonder why people can get crazy about the tools they
use exclusively, ranting over the other "inferior" ones (Windows vs. Mac
vs. Linux, C vs. Pascal vs. VB, etc.).

You may be interested to check the CodeGuru forum on this subject
(MSVC++ vs. VB) at
http://www.codeguru.net/bbs/wt/wwwthreads.pl?action=list&Board=devforum

--
-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
I have come had this question asked. What I did was buy a copy of C++ (I have
been a VB guy since the  3.0 days) and worked with it.
The two go together very nice. I do most of my work in VB6 and when needed do
the rest in VC++6. I feel that it's  a good idea to be informed with both.
(BTW. A scripting language or interpreted  language is read line by line untill
it is complete (like Perl))
I have learned over the years that it is most important to be "fluent" in
several languages.
Thanks Dave

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please
Is this best?
Is that best?

To be honest, we are all held to ransome by Microsoft, but, all languages
have their advantages, and, disadvantages.

Let's stop squabbling like babies, and, develop our abilities to create
whatever we wish!

or whatever Microsoft looks more likely to support !!!!!!!

until we become good enough to break this Microsoft hold, and, develop our
own.  (keep it comming Linux)

PS all languages including VB are as good as they are instructed!

Cut down on that excess code!

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB vs VC++...somebody settle this please

Quote:
>-- I hate to bring up such a controversial issue, but I feel like I need
>closure on this.  How come so many people rail against VB (particularly VC++
>programmers).

Jack:

You're not alone. I've worked with VB and VBA on the job for the last three
years. I've trained myself with VB books from the bookstores (no classes, tech
support help, etc.).

The application I'm currently working on is a preventive maintenance scheduling
and tracking system. It includes approximately 16,000 lines of VB code written
by yours truly. I currently have 723 active field users across the United
States  who are logging approximately 20,000 maintenance tasks a week with this
system. The techical support overhead for field users is minimal. The training
necessary to use the application is minimal (about ten minutes). In 9 months of
operation, the system has not experienced a major outage. This project involved
no expense other than my salary, and I've been working other projects in
addition to this one.

By comparision, several field applications developed for our company by
third-party vendors using Oracle RDBMS servers and Java-based front-ends have
cost millions of dollars and been almost total disasters.

I'm not trying to argue that VB is better than Oracle or Java or even VC. But a
development environment only for application programmers? Givemeabreak!

FM3

PS: A CS instructor friend  who has been teaching C for the past 5 years
recently told me that he has found C to be more or less a dead end and is
shifting over to Oracle/Java. According to this guy, the big bucks are in
Oracle administration/development. VB is making rapid strides as a front-end
development tool for Oracle RDBMSes.

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can somebody settle this once and for all????

2. 3rd party tools for VB vs VC vs VC++

3. VB vs VC

4. Exposing methods, VB vs VC

5. Imagelist Overlay =VB vs VC??

6. ADO Speed VB vs VC

7. VB vs. VC

8. Imagelist Overlay =VB vs VC??

9. Imagelist Overlay =VB vs VC??

10. VC-COM from VB/VC/Script

11. Could someone convert this from VC to VS?

12. Vb6 vs VC ++