2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0
Author Message
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
reference about generating a report.

Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

Thanx

Tue, 13 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

says...

Quote:

>Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
>From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
>reference about generating a report.

>Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

>Thanx

VB is not a report writer so it does not generate reports itself.  From
VB you can call a report writer.  As to accessing the SQL Server, you use
ODBC or DB-Lib function calls from VB.

--
David Upham
Nan Pao Information Systems, Inc.

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:

> Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
> From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
> reference about generating a report.

> Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

> Thanx

We use Crystal Reports to generate quite a few reports out of VB 3.0.  The VB 3.0 professional version comes
shipped with Crystal Reports or you can buy it separately.

Terry

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:

>Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
>From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
>reference about generating a report.

>Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

>Thanx

I think I'll rephrase my question. I need to use SQL4.21 as the report
generator, since my client does not want to use crystal reports.

How do I use VB to call SQLServer to generate a report, i.e. from VB,
send a (sql?) query and make the server CREATE a report??

Thanx

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Just use MS Access.  It has a very good report writer.

Quote:

>says...

>>Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
>>From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
>>reference about generating a report.

>>Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

>>Thanx
>VB is not a report writer so it does not generate reports itself.  From
>VB you can call a report writer.  As to accessing the SQL Server, you use
>ODBC or DB-Lib function calls from VB.
>--
>David Upham
>Nan Pao Information Systems, Inc.
>Phone:  886-2-816-5511 ext. 35
>Fax:    886-2-813-2111

Robert Alexander

Connolly Consulting Associates - Accounts Payable Auditors

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:

> >Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
> >From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
> >reference about generating a report.

> >Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

> >Thanx

> I think I'll rephrase my question. I need to use SQL4.21 as the report
> generator, since my client does not want to use crystal reports.

> How do I use VB to call SQLServer to generate a report, i.e. from VB,
> send a (sql?) query and make the server CREATE a report??

> Thanx

Thanks for the clarification.  My understanding is that SQL likes to assemble information and send it back to
the requesting entity (in your example, the VB program).  There is little facility that I have seen in SQL
Server for generating reports.  It's main strength is in generating raw lists and summaries of data for later
formatting by another package.

Sorry I can't help.

Terry

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:

> Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
> From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
> reference about generating a report.

> Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

> Thanx

I do not understand exactly what you want to do. Do the reports
shall run on the server? Does the report run under VB3?

Generally, I build a VB3 program that connects to a database on
an MS SQL Server, sends an SQL statement and processes the
returned result set.

Regards,

Ruediger

Tue, 20 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:
> Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
> From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
> reference about generating a report.

To clarify my question again,

Well, I was told by my client that he uses SQLServer itself to create
custom reports and print them out. Actually, the reports were simple listings
of certain fields. Also, he did not want to use report engines, coz it
requires a license.

I was thinking about a way to do this automatically via VB 3

Could this be done?

Thanx

Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 2nd try- Q: How To Generate SQLServer Reports From VB 3.0

Quote:

> >Does anyone out there know how to do such a thing?
> >From my school's docs (which is rather limited), I couldn't find any
> >reference about generating a report.

> >Anyone with any pointers, tips, FAQs, etc. please reply

> >Thanx

> I think I'll rephrase my question. I need to use SQL4.21 as the report
> generator, since my client does not want to use crystal reports.

> How do I use VB to call SQLServer to generate a report, i.e. from VB,
> send a (sql?) query and make the server CREATE a report??

> Thanx

You can send an SQL statement from a VB application to an SQL Server.
The SQL Server then evaluates the statement and sends the results back
to the application. There you need to process the result to show it
to the user.

Setup an ODBC connection on the client WfW PC to your database on
the server. Write a VB3 application which contains:

  const conn="ODBC;UID=mysqlusername;PWD=mysqlpassword;DSN=odbcname"
  dim DB1 as database
  dim TheResults as DynaSet
  dim S as string

  Set DB1=OpenDatabase("", False, False, conn)

  S="SELECT name FROM mytable"

  Set TheResults=DB1.CreateDynaset(S, 64)

  'start a while loop to go thru all resulting records
  Do While Not TheResults.EOF
    MsgBox TheResults("name")  'just to show the piece of result
                               'on the screen
    'if you defined a textbox on the form you can say
    txtMybox.Text=TheResults("name")
  loop
  TheResults.Close

Show these results to your user as you like

The SQL statement can contain any expressions that MS-SQL Server
knows. If you use an aggregate expression you should use an alias
for it and use that alias in the TheResults("alias") statement.

Finally, you cannot define a report as an expression on the SQL
server and then call this report by name, you always have to use
a front-end application to to the report.

Ruediger

Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. 16-bit Crystal Report Freezes on 2nd Try

2. Error opening data-environment report on 2nd try.

3. ?SQL VB Functions in GROUP BY - 2ND Try

4. Generating reports form Access to Vb 3.0

5. Trouble Porting VB 3.0 SQLServer App to VB 4.0 and Oracle

6. Grouping & Footer (2nd try)

7. 2nd try-Auto dis-associate mail merge data source

8. 2ND TRY - HOW DO I?

9. 2nd try on a macro need

10. Outlook, OE and Rules (2nd try)

11. Why does my textbox flicker, 2nd try...

12. HELP: 2nd try: Validate event Action = 0