How does .commit and .rollback work?
Author Message
 How does .commit and .rollback work?

Hi,

I want to be able to view a table, filter the records as needed, and then
commit or rollback on the changes when the view is closed. (After a message
pops up asking the user if they want to commit the changes made by the
filter). I have read a few things on the subject but I do not quite
understand how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How does .commit and .rollback work?
Hi Matt. My apologies if  I've misunderstood, but filtering a view doesn't
change the underlying data- it only changes how much of it or the way it is
viewed on screen.  Commit or RollBack are only relevant when you're updating
the physical contents of any records.

For what it's worth, Commit or RollBack apply when you're changing the
(related) data for a number of fields, or possibly a number of tables. It
helps preserve data integrity, by allowing you to check that ALL the data
has updated, and not just some of it. Naturally, where data is related, you
want all of it to update, or none at all.

After completing the update transaction,  if everything is fine, you can use
the Commit statement to update all the affected records. If there was a
problem, even with just a small part of the data, you can use the Rollback
statement, to reset everything.

Quote:

>Hi,

>I want to be able to view a table, filter the records as needed, and then
>commit or rollback on the changes when the view is closed. (After a message
>pops up asking the user if they want to commit the changes made by the
>filter). I have read a few things on the subject but I do not quite
>understand how to do this?

>Thanks in advance.

>Matt.

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Limits to work done between commits

2. workspace commit/rollback

3. Commit/Rollback spanning procedures

4. DB Commit\Rollback Issues

5. Begin-Rollback-Commit Transaction

6. VB4 - Commit or Rollback without BeginTrans. (Error 3034)

7. Commit and Rollback

8. Using commit/rollback with Oracle and RDO

9. BeginTrans Commit RollBack

10. BeginTrans, Commit, RollBack

11. Rollback and Commit with more than 1 form open in VB3

12. Workspace Transaction Begin/Commit/Rollback bug?