Client / Server newbie needs some advice
Author Message
 Client / Server newbie needs some advice

I need some advice...

Im just about to embark on my first client / server database app in VB6. The
prog is a MIS which will query an Oracle 7 server. The server will hold no
stored queries. Initially I need to query across some Access tables /
databases also. The system is likely to grow over a longer period of time to
include information from a variety of diverse sources which I will have to
decide how to store and deal with.

My inital problem is deciding the choice of connection in VB6, I like DAO
but ADO, ADO and dataenvir and RDO all look like better alternatives. So
which one ?

Some of the queries are pretty heavy duty and speed will be an issue. I have
experimented with linked tables in Access via ODBC using DAO but its too
slow some take 10 mins to run. This is mostly because some fields are joined
to local Access tables.

Should I eventually get these tables stored on the server? Would I be better
off storing my queries on the server? As this will not be possible in the
short-term, I will have to live with some local joined Access tables, what
are my best options for connecting to my datasources and querying them ?

There will be upto 25 users, although few will use simultaneously.

Any advice about this topic most appreciated.

Thanks

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Client / Server newbie needs some advice
I would definitely go with ADO, it is not that hard to learn, and it is a
lot faster then DAO. Plus, I believe that ADO was designed to eventually
replace DAO, and RDO (it might take some time though).
For speed, avoid using cursors as much as possible, they will slow you down.
If you run some query more than once, you will see speed improvement if you
pre-compile it and store it on the server, and then call from your VB code.
If you can get away from Access and entirely into Oracle, I believe this
would be good too.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Quote:

>I need some advice...

>Im just about to embark on my first client / server database app in VB6.
The
>prog is a MIS which will query an Oracle 7 server. The server will hold no
>stored queries. Initially I need to query across some Access tables /
>databases also. The system is likely to grow over a longer period of time
>include information from a variety of diverse sources which I will have to
>decide how to store and deal with.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Client / Server newbie needs some advice
using rdo objects u cannot return a resultset from a stored procedure. yes it
would be better to use stored procedures if only returning a row / variant. the
procedures would process much quicker on the server since its only compiled
once
jm

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Strategy For Prototyping 3 tier Internet Client Server App -- Advice

2. Desgin Advice needed on Returing Data to Client

3. limit down query result and data transfer back to client machine : advice needed

4. COM+ newbie needing advice on an n-client <-> 1 remote server design

5. COM+ newbie needing advice on an n-client <-> 1 remote server design

6. Newbie Needs Advice For Purchase

7. Newbie needs advice on project

8. Need newbie advice please

9. Newbie Needs Your Advice

10. Newbie needs advice

11. Newbie: need some advice

12. need advice on making modem throughput meter (newbie)