Crystal Reports - getting fields from specific records
Author Message
 Crystal Reports - getting fields from specific records

I'm using the Crystal Reports which came with VB5, so I don't have any
good documentation to help me out.  Anyone know where I can get some?

My actual problem, though, is this:  I want to put the value of a
specific record on the report.  What I'm trying to do is store things
like the column headers, report titles, etc. in the database, so that
they can easily be changed w/out using Crystal Reports.  So we have a
table which looks something like this:
        num     integer
        text    string
It would contain values like:
        num     text
        1       Date
        2       Time
        3       Name
Then, on my report, I want to put something like this in the page
header section:

I tried this as a formula:
if {table.num} = 1 then
        {table.text}
else
        ""

But I get the following error:
        Warning:  Fields in the report from the file "TABLE" cannot be linked.

That error makes sense, because there isn't anything to link that
table to the rest of the tables.  I have a feeling I'm going about
this entirely wrong, but I don't have any good references to check.
Maybe there's no way to do this in Crystal, but it seems like it
should be fairly easy.  Can anyone help?

--ktb (Keith)            Philippians 3:7-14
Keith T. Brown         |    Diebold Campus Systems

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~kbrown |       Waco, TX 76710
_______________________|_______(817)776-5695_________

Fri, 29 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports - getting fields from specific records

Quote:
>I'm using the Crystal Reports which came with VB5, so I don't have any
>good documentation to help me out.  Anyone know where I can get some?

>My actual problem, though, is this:  I want to put the value of a
>specific record on the report.  What I'm trying to do is store things
>like the column headers, report titles, etc. in the database, so that
>they can easily be changed w/out using Crystal Reports.  So we have a
>table which looks something like this:
>    num     integer
>    text    string
>It would contain values like:
>    num     text

the closest i've come to this type of thing is to make a table with 1
record which has the info in it and add it as an unlinked table.  the
first record will always be available

home page http://www.erols.com/wmingee/
Gamers visit The Dragon's Hoard http://home.rica.net/drgnshrd/

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports - getting fields from specific records

Quote:

> I'm using the Crystal Reports which came with VB5, so I don't have any
> good documentation to help me out.  Anyone know where I can get some?

> My actual problem, though, is this:  I want to put the value of a
> specific record on the report.  What I'm trying to do is store things
> like the column headers, report titles, etc. in the database, so that
> they can easily be changed w/out using Crystal Reports.  So we have a
> table which looks something like this:
>         num     integer
>         text    string
> It would contain values like:
>         num     text
>         1       Date
>         2       Time
>         3       Name
> Then, on my report, I want to put something like this in the page
> header section:

> I tried this as a formula:
> if {table.num} = 1 then
>         {table.text}
> else
>         ""

> But I get the following error:
>         Warning:  Fields in the report from the file "TABLE" cannot be linked.

> That error makes sense, because there isn't anything to link that
> table to the rest of the tables.  I have a feeling I'm going about
> this entirely wrong, but I don't have any good references to check.
> Maybe there's no way to do this in Crystal, but it seems like it
> should be fairly easy.  Can anyone help?

> --ktb (Keith)            Philippians 3:7-14
> Keith T. Brown         |    Diebold Campus Systems

> http://acm.org/~kbrown |       Waco, TX 76710
> _______________________|_______(817)776-5695_________

Don't break your head trying to get Crystal to format your report. You
are better off to creat a temporary table to hold you formated data and
just have Crystal do a straight dump.

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
> [...]

>> My actual problem, though, is this:  I want to put the value of a
>> specific record on the report.  What I'm trying to do is store things
>> like the column headers, report titles, etc. in the database, so that
>> they can easily be changed w/out using Crystal Reports.  So we have a
>> table which looks something like this:
>>         num     integer
>>         text    string
>> It would contain values like:
>>         num     text
>>         1       Date
>>         2       Time
>>         3       Name
>> Then, on my report, I want to put something like this in the page
>> header section:

>Don't break your head trying to get Crystal to format your report. You
>are better off to creat a temporary table to hold you formated data and

OK, I give up--how do I create a temporary table?  I've searched
through the two manuals we have here, but I couldn't find anything
about it.  Also, I don't quite understand what you meant about having
Crystal "do a straight dump".  Could you please elaborate?  I'm a
Crystal Reports newbie :-) (or worse, one w/out good manuals!)

Does this sound like a feasible solution:  I could write a function
for each value I need, and w/in each function, create a temp table
based on the "num" field in my example above.  Then I could use that
one record table to get the text field.

The other solution I had in mind was this:  I would still write a
function for each value I need, but before I call the CR control, I
would get the values from the DB and redefine the functions.  The
thing I don't like about that one is the number of times I'd be
hitting the DB.

Thanks for your help.

--ktb (Keith)

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Print a specific record and desire date in Crystal report 7

2. Getting a record with Crystal Reports 4.0

3. Getting Table. Field info from Crystal Reports

4. Getting fields or formulas from the crystal reports control in VB 5

5. Getting fields or formulas from the crystal reports control in VB5

6. Crystal Reports 8.5 date range parameter field - record selection that includes null date range

7. Getting a form to move to a specific record - problem

8. Getting a specific record in code

9. Getting specific record from DBGrid

10. Getting data in specific field

11. NEED ASSISTANCE w/ coding to search specific field in a record

12. VB 5 and Crystal: a specific record