HELP -- VB4-32 bit appl,Win95, and WinNT
Author Message
 HELP -- VB4-32 bit appl,Win95, and WinNT

Hi all,
I have some questions regarding portability of a VB4 32 bit
application from Win95 to NT.

1. First, and foremost, can it be done?

Assuming answer to this is yes...

2. What limitations are there in doing so?

3. Are the OCXs compatible between platforms?

4. The application will be calling DLLs developed using
   VC++ on an NT platform.  Are there any problems with this?

5. The VB application may be writing to an MDB file and using
   Crystal Reports for printing results.  Are there any
   compatibility issues with NT and Access 2.0 to do this (or
   should I upgrade to Access95)?

The engineer doing the C stuff hasn't developed a Windows
application (but has done lots in C) and I can spell C but haven't
done much programming with it.  Schedule precludes either of us
attempting to learn what needs to be learned to do it all in VC++.
That's why I am looking at the VB/DLL approach.

Thanks in advance...

Randy Gritton

--
"The spell checker keeps changing my name to 'Butthead'!"
   -- The Better Half 9/26/95

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP -- VB4-32 bit appl,Win95, and WinNT

Quote:

>Hi all,
>I have some questions regarding portability of a VB4 32 bit
>application from Win95 to NT.

>1. First, and foremost, can it be done?

Yes, I've just done it myself.

Quote:
>Assuming answer to this is yes...

>2. What limitations are there in doing so?
>3. Are the OCXs compatible between platforms?

You'll need to make sure that you're running NT 3.51, as the
OCX's won't work on anything earlier.  Apart from that, no probs.

Quote:
>4. The application will be calling DLLs developed using
>   VC++ on an NT platform.  Are there any problems with this?

Shouldn't be.

Quote:
>5. The VB application may be writing to an MDB file and using
>   Crystal Reports for printing results.  Are there any
>   compatibility issues with NT and Access 2.0 to do this (or
>   should I upgrade to Access95)?

I haven't encountered any major ones. Just be careful that your long
path names map to short path names.  Also, try and store your locations
of the databases for the VB programmes in .INI files and *not* the Registry:
when the files are relocated then all you need to do is change the .INI
settings.  Changing the registry is a lot more hassle.  JET 3.0 will
handle all current Microsft DB formats (including Access 2.0).

Quote:
>The engineer doing the C stuff hasn't developed a Windows
>application (but has done lots in C) and I can spell C but haven't
>done much programming with it.  Schedule precludes either of us
>attempting to learn what needs to be learned to do it all in VC++.
>That's why I am looking at the VB/DLL approach.

>Thanks in advance...

>Randy Gritton

>--
>"The spell checker keeps changing my name to 'Butthead'!"
>   -- The Better Half 9/26/95

Clyde Davies

Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP -- VB4-32 bit appl,Win95, and WinNT

I have had problems using OLE objects in Crystal Reports 4.5 on Win NT 3.51 Server.
Crystal have acknowledged this and I am waiting for the fix. Your VBX / OCX need to
above a certain internal revision number.

Mail me direct if you need more info ...

Richard

Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP -- VB4-32 bit appl,Win95, and WinNT

2. 32-bit BASIC compilers for Win95/WinNT?

3. HELP....CREATING CUSTOM OPEN DIALOG/WIN95 IN VB4 32-BIT

4. Shell_NotifyIcon VB4 32-bit / Win95 Help!

5. Calling 32-bit DLL function from 32-bit VB4 app

6. Running Multiple VB4 32-bit Exes under Win95

7. 32 bit VB4 Changing Win95 Default Printer

8. Stay on top (VB4 std., 32-bit, Win95)

9. HELP: VB4-16 bit to VB5-32 bit problem

10. Russian(Cyrillic): vb4 32-bit works, but vb4 16-bit doesn't

11. Help:How do you de-reference handles in 32-bit VB4--Please Help

12. Passthrough queries fail in 16-bit VB4, succeed in 32-bit