ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO
Author Message
 ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO

I have had miserable success in trying to get a decent response time out of
ADO, so on a whim, I did side-by-side comparisons with DAO using "Select *"
from all the tables in a JET database.  I found that the number of rows of
data didn't affect performance significantly, but the number of fields in
the table did.  Huh?  As the number of fields increases, ADO's performance
decreases exponentially.  For example, one table had 75 columns, and it took
ADO 3+ seconds (yes, seconds) to retrieve one row, whereas DAO did it in 20
ms, all other things being equal (cursor type, locking, etc).

Try it out!  Is it me, or is it ADO?  No comments about the 75 columns,
please - it's the customer's database and I can't redesign it.

Your comments appreciated.

Merle McCartney

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

2. ADO vs DAO performance

3. Performance ADO Vs DAO

4. DAO vs ADO Performance

5. Confused about performace test, ADO vs DAO, please help

6. Confused about performace test, ADO vs DAO, please help

7. ADO vs DAO vs RDO

8. VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

9. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

10. VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

11. Data Control vs. DAO Performance

12. DAO 3.0 performance: Win95 vs. WinNT 4.0