?Oracle Date/Time and RDO/ODBC
Author Message
 ?Oracle Date/Time and RDO/ODBC

It seems that one of my requirements is to match rows whose key is, in
part, a date/time data type. I am aware that if the implementation of
this data item is floating point with the whole number for days and
the fraction for time, this task is in trouble.

Just what is the RDO/ODBC role in this jigsaw?
when I pass a date 04-aug-1997 11:23:17 what happens to this value on
the way to Oracle?

Anyone happen to know the Oracle details?

Suggestions or workarrounds are most welcome.

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ?Oracle Date/Time and RDO/ODBC

Quote:

> It seems that one of my requirements is to match rows whose key is, in
> part, a date/time data type. I am aware that if the implementation of
> this data item is floating point with the whole number for days and
> the fraction for time, this task is in trouble.
> Just what is the RDO/ODBC role in this jigsaw?
> when I pass a date 04-aug-1997 11:23:17 what happens to this value on
> the way to Oracle?
> Anyone happen to know the Oracle details?
> Suggestions or workarrounds are most welcome.

I don't know how Oracle stores date/times, but DAO and I think
RDO want to deal with them as floating point. That's trouble
because if I remember correctly Oracle's date/times can track
fractions of a second while VB can't. If you have a date/time and
you need to find a matching Oracle record, try something like
this: (The SQL is in DAO format, but it shouldn't be hard to
convert)

Const JetDateTimeFmt = "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy hh\:nn\:ss AM/PM\#;;;\N\U\L\L"

SQL = "select mytable.* from mytable where mytable.mydatetime >= "
SQL = SQL & Format$(DateToFind, JetDateTimeFmt)
SQL = SQL & " and mytable.mydatetime < "
SQL = SQL & Format$(DateAdd("s", 1, DateToFind), JetDateTimeFmt)

This may return multiple records, but they'll all be within the
same second you're looking for. I almost used a BETWEEN clause,
but that would have included any records with a date/time field
containing exactly the next second after the one you want.

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with Oracle Rdb, RDO, ODBC and Dates

2. BIIIIIIIG Problem using Oracle / ODBC / RDO

3. RDO connection to ORACLE database through ODBC string literal too long

4. Problem using VB 4.0, RDO 1.0b, Visigenic 32bit ODBC and ORacle 7.2

5. RDO And Oracle Odbc Driver.

6. Failed to get RDO working with Oracle ODBC

7. RDO-ODBC vs. Oracle Objects

8. VB4 + RDO + ODBC + ORACLE = Problems?

9. NT 3.51, VB 4, RDO, ODBC, Oracle 7

10. VB 5.0, RDO, ODBC, Oracle stored procedure problem...

11. RDO 2.0 and Oracle 7.x ODBC drivers

12. RDO, ODBC, ORACLE