WinHound 1.0 - File finder and text tracker utility
Author Message
 WinHound 1.0 - File finder and text tracker utility

Quote:
David M. Miller writes:
>Have you tried the File|Search facility in File Manager?
>If you change the starting point to the root of a drive (i.e., C:\*.ext, or
>C:\file.*, or whatever) and check the "Search all subdirectories" box, it
>does the same thing WITHOUT VBRUNx00; I dunno about search speed, but it
>does the job.
>Also, the resulting window can be used as a drag and drop source, just like
>a normal drive window (if View|All File Details is checked, it also shows
>the size, date, time, and attributes).
>Of course it won't search for text inside files, but there's always gnu
>grep...

David,

        Let's take a look at this for a second.  First, you're telling me that
the File|Search facility in File Manager serves the same function as ONE of
the modules in WinHound, although you "dunno about search speed".  So, you're
telling me and all the other folks out there that a program you haven't even
tried yet can't possibly be as good as something which is admittedly slower than
slow.  And you call your company "Business Visions"?  Somewhat inappropriately
named to put it mildly.
        Secondly, yes of course there's always grep.  But why not use a program
which integrates the two functions?  Yes there are word processors, spread sheets,
and presentation programs as well... but I hear Microsoft Office is doing rather well.
        I don't mind criticism, but try the program first for God's sake!

Thanks,
Dave Verschleiser
Q&D Software Development

Wed, 24 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 WinHound 1.0 - File finder and text tracker utility

Quote:

>David M. Miller writes:

>>Have you tried the File|Search facility in File Manager?

>>If you change the starting point to the root of a drive (i.e.,
C:\*.ext, or
>>C:\file.*, or whatever) and check the "Search all subdirectories"
box, it
>>does the same thing WITHOUT VBRUNx00; I dunno about search speed, but
it
>>does the job.

>>Also, the resulting window can be used as a drag and drop source, just like
>>a normal drive window (if View|All File Details is checked, it also shows
>>the size, date, time, and attributes).

>>Of course it won't search for text inside files, but there's always gnu
>>grep...

>David,

>    Let's take a look at this for a second.  First, you're telling me that
>the File|Search facility in File Manager serves the same function as ONE of
>the modules in WinHound, although you "dunno about search speed".  So, you're
>telling me and all the other folks out there that a program you haven't even
>tried yet can't possibly be as good as something which is admittedly slower than
>slow.  And you call your company "Business Visions"?  Somewhat inappropriately
>named to put it mildly.
>    Secondly, yes of course there's always grep.  But why not use a program
>which integrates the two functions?  Yes there are word processors, spread
sheets,
>and presentation programs as well... but I hear Microsoft Office is doing rather
well.
>    I don't mind criticism, but try the program first for God's sake!

>Thanks,
>Dave Verschleiser
>Q&D Software Development

Mr. Verschleiser:

It seems to me that you are very quick to take offense. In the first
place, Mr Miller doesn't seem to have told "all the other folks out
there" anything about your program. Perhaps he just sent you personal
E-Mail since you did not seem to know about the file search function of
the MS file manager. In the second place he (from the text of his
message that you included) did not say that your program was inferior
but only that the other exists, nor did he admit that it is "slower
than slow," so those who had not used either would not know which is
faster or better in the file search function. There are also other
programs that will search for text in groups of files.

So please do not take offense so quickly, and had you not replied in
public the rest of us "folks" probably would not even have known about
his message.

By the way, does your company name (Q&D Software Development) stand for
what I think it does. We always used the abbreviation "Q&D" for "Quick
and Dirty" programs that we wrote just to get something done in a hurry
without bothering with such non-necessaries as validation and testing.
If that is true, I'm not sure I want your programs if the output is
critical to anything.

Thu, 25 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. WinHound 1.0 <ASP>-File finder and text tracker utility!

2. WinHound 1.0 <ASP>-File finder and text tracker utility!

3. WinBrowse 1.0 - multiple database browser and conversion utility

4. WinBrowse 1.0 - multiple database browser and conversion utility

5. Need an ASCII text file conversion utility

6. Simple File Finder

7. Module music files...Tracker in VB?

8. MIIK Ltd announces CD-Text Reader 1.0

9. MIIK Ltd announces CD-Text Reader 1.0

10. Access database text dump utility now shows more properties

11. Text to Tif/Jpeg Conversion Utility using VB

12. Text to Tif/Jpeg Conversion Utility using VB