Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial
Author Message
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Help!  I need a good tutorial for Visual Basic 4.0.  I have done
programming in C, Pascal, COBOL, and some BASIC (10 years ago!).  My
current company is now using VB.  I need a quick painless way to pick it
up!  Any suggestions? (other than taking classes...don't have the time or
the money!)

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Quote:

>Help!  I need a good tutorial for Visual Basic 4.0.  I have done
>programming in C, Pascal, COBOL, and some BASIC (10 years ago!).  My
>current company is now using VB.  I need a quick painless way to pick it
>up!  Any suggestions? (other than taking classes...don't have the time or
>the money!)

Patti,
  Have you looked at the tutorial in the Programmers Guide? Good luck...
Russ

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Quote:

> Help!  I need a good tutorial for Visual Basic 4.0.  I have done
> programming in C, Pascal, COBOL, and some BASIC (10 years ago!).  My
> current company is now using VB.  I need a quick painless way to pick it
> up!  Any suggestions? (other than taking classes...don't have the time
or
> the money!)

There are no magic bullets. If there were a "quick painless" way to pick
up VB, your company could hire people off the street for minimum wage.
Using tools such as VB is like using any other tool: you need to learn how
to use it. This means you have one of these choices:

  a) just jump in and start cobbling applications together

       likely to miss effective ways of doing things and to create apps
that
       lack features to make them robust (such as error trapping); if you
don't
       have the time for training, do you have the time to keep
floundering around?

  b) find a good tutorial / self study package

       if you don't think this takes time, and money, then you're not
thinking
       clearly. tutorials can be nice and helpful getting started. then
how do
       you get your questions answered? trial and error? the net? think
this
       doesn't take time or cost money/

  c) find a mentor to guide you

        if your lucky enough to find a qualified person with the time to
lead
        you through the learning curve, you're off to a good start. but
this will
        take a little time. and the time you and your mentor are working
on
        your learning VB is money your employer is losing (especially for
your
         mentor's time)

  d) take a class

         a good class with good exercises can both show and tell, at the
same
         time you get some experience developing realistic apps. yes, it
will cost
         some money and take some time. but you are up and running much
         faster. this is a very cost effective alternative.

Like I say, if it were easy, painless, or cheap, anyone could do it, and
many would do it for a lot less than you are being paid. You are the one
who can bring value to the tools you use. Only by working through the
learning curve somehow can you bring that value. The continuous investment
in time and money to keep your skills current and sharp is the only
insurance you have of employability.

Regards.

Steve Comstock
Denver, Colorado
USA

telephone: 800-993-8716
or:        303-393-8716
fax:       303-393-8718

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Quote:

> Help!  I need a good tutorial for Visual Basic 4.0.  I have done
> programming in C, Pascal, COBOL, and some BASIC (10 years ago!).  My
> current company is now using VB.  I need a quick painless way to pick it
> up!  Any suggestions? (other than taking classes...don't have the time or
> the money!)

Patti,
        Microsoft has a CDROM based learning system called "Mastering
Visual Basic" which includes 4.0. I've heard good things about it, though I
haven't actually used it. I think the price is around $99.

There are also some good VB "How to" books that deal with specific topics,
such as database programming or graphics, etc. Go to http://www.windx.com
and you can track them down fairly easily.

Desi

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Quote:
>Help!  I need a good tutorial for Visual Basic 4.0.  I have done
>programming in C, Pascal, COBOL, and some BASIC (10 years ago!).  My
>current company is now using VB.  I need a quick painless way to pick it
>up!  Any suggestions? (other than taking classes...don't have the time or
>the money!)

As a complete programming/VB novice I found "VB4 for Windows For
Dummies" and " More VB4 for Windows For Dummies" to be very helpful.
The best approach is to read them with a real project in mind and
apply the techniques to that project as you read.

After that, the official VB "Programmers Guide" almost made sense to
me <G>

Bob Muirhead

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

Quote:

> Patti,
>         Microsoft has a CDROM based learning system called "Mastering
> Visual Basic" which includes 4.0. I've heard good things about it, though I
> haven't actually used it. I think the price is around $99.

The CDRom is very good and is ONLY for VB4.  We use it for our inhouse
training on VB now.  It does a very good job of handling JET DAO
procedures with unbound controls.  The examples actually work <g>.

--
Joe Hendricks________________TH Associates
http://www.harbornet.com/tha/thaindex.html

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

I think I need to clarify myself a little more.  I know how to program in
COBOL, Pascal, C, and some BASIC.  So, I know the general progamming
technique/logic, it's just the syntax of VB that's kicking my tail.  I
have a couple of books that I'm working from and am writing some very
tiny cutesey programs, but somehow that doesn't seem to be "doing the
trick."

--
Patti Johnson
System Analyst

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vbasic 4.0 Tutorial

2. TransferText code in VBasic 4.0.

3. Parsing in vbasic 4.0

4. VBasic 4.0 and maths problem

5. Dbase, ASCII text, Paradox ect. with VBasic 4.0

6. Need a database for VBasic 4.0

7. Create Explorer Shell from VBasic 4.0

8. Making small programs with Vbasic 4.0 (?!)

9. Cannot run OfficeXX and Vbasic 4.0 simultaneously - WHY ?

10. Escape sequence and Printer (Vbasic 4.0)

11. Where can I find help abute vbasic 4.0?

12. Create DLL from C++ to be used call by VBasic 4.0 application