telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP
Author Message
 telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP

Subject: telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP
Date: Saturday, October 06, 2001 2:50 PM

Help !!
I'm very frustrated with this......

Can I use the standard winsock control to do telnet...or is it not that
simple?

When I set it up the winsock control for TCP/IP, a remote port of 23 and the
appropriate remote IP address, it connects ok but after that I get nothing.

Is it because the remote telnet server listens and establishes a connection
via port 23 then opens a different socket--so I lose connectivity on port
23?

I know there are telnet controls out there---and they DO work.  I just don't
know what they do different than winsock.

And I don't want to PAY for one if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:03:35 GMT
 telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP

Quote:

>I'm very frustrated with this......

>Can I use the standard winsock control to do telnet...or is it not that
>simple?

>When I set it up the winsock control for TCP/IP, a remote port of 23 and the
>appropriate remote IP address, it connects ok but after that I get nothing.

>Is it because the remote telnet server listens and establishes a connection
>via port 23 then opens a different socket--so I lose connectivity on port
>23?

>I know there are telnet controls out there---and they DO work.  I just don't
>know what they do different than winsock.

If you want more of a 'roll your own' solution, we include a Telnet
sample in our freeware SocketWrench package. You can download the
SocketWrench package from our website at http://www.catalyst.com.

David
----

Catalyst Development Corporation   | application with ActivePatch. Download
http://www.catalyst.com/           | the SDK from www.activepatch.com

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:17:01 GMT
 telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP
You can, but it's not as simple as you'd like.
If you look up the RFC for TELNET (can't remember the number and there are a
whole load of them) you will find that theres a sort of conversation that
goes on between the telnet client and server. You need to be able to answer
feature queries from the telnet server. It all gets a bit messy if you want
to do it right.
I've tried several times and never got more than about 90% of the way there.
If your not looking for a project, I would suggest you go look for a OCX
control that will do all the hard part.

When you connect to a port (TELNET, FTP etc), you normally request the
connection of the service port.
So you go
Winsock1.Connect "128.0.1.2", 23 ' Telnet
you're connecting to the remote telnet servers port 23.
If will accept the connection BUT will pass back a different port for you to
use (this way another person can connect to port 23 and so on)
You then get a Winsock1.Connect event fired and you off.
Just for the record, and I've not seen anybody else complain about this,
I've always had real problems debugging Winsock applications.
They often run ok but sometimes events are lost.
The best thing to do is always run your application BUT send a copy of all
input/output to a text file so you can
study it.
Don't put WinSock1.senddata statements all over the place.
Create a simple routine called SendData that takes one parameter 'sData'.
THIS routine then calls WinSock1.SendData sData, it makes logging your data
a lot simpler.

Quote:

> Subject: telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP
> Date: Saturday, October 06, 2001 2:50 PM

> Help !!
> I'm very frustrated with this......

> Can I use the standard winsock control to do telnet...or is it not that
> simple?

> When I set it up the winsock control for TCP/IP, a remote port of 23 and
the
> appropriate remote IP address, it connects ok but after that I get
nothing.

> Is it because the remote telnet server listens and establishes a
connection
> via port 23 then opens a different socket--so I lose connectivity on port
> 23?

> I know there are telnet controls out there---and they DO work.  I just
don't
> know what they do different than winsock.

> And I don't want to PAY for one if I don't have to.

> Thanks.

Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:14:11 GMT

1. telnet using winsock ?? PLEASE HELP

2. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP,

3. Problem using telnet with winsock

4. Telnet using Winsock VB5

5. How to login to Telnet using Winsock

6. Telnet using VB Winsock control

7. Using winsock like Telnet:

8. Telnet application using winsock API

9. Telnet using winsock

10. Please, Please, Please I need your help with Winsock

11. Help With Telnet, VB 4, and WinSock.DLL

12. Only recieving 8k of image using winsock control (Please help)