RBDM problems
Author Message
 RBDM problems

I'm making a db for a DJ and I'm having some normalization problems.  My
problem is I'm trying to make each of his disks unique and I don't know how
to do this with albums. In other words a disk may not be an album, it could
be a compilation with tracks from a bunch of different albums and may occur
more thatn once on different disks.  If this were not the case this would be
easy.

here are my tables...

Artist table
tblArtistID*
tblArtistName

Title Table
tblTitleID*

tblTitleName

Album Table
tblAlbumID*
tblAlbumTitle
tblAlbumYear

Disk Table
tblDiskID*
tblDiskTitle
tblDiskType (this would be either a compilation or complete album)
tblDiskStyle (blues, rock, etc.)

Thanks!!!

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:41:09 GMT
 RBDM problems
Hi John, I guess that as with many of these things there'll be more than one
way to handle it, but I'd probably have an artist table, a track (or song)
table and a disc table. The artist and disc tables would contain specific
info such as ID and name, while the track table would contain not just
specific track details, but all the cross-references (ie to the artist and
the disc) that would hold the db together.

That way, albums are no problem because they'd simply be discs with more
tracks cross-referenced against them. Plus, you could locate any track, list
all music by any artist, list all the tracks on a disc, etc. I don't think
you could get more normalised than that.

Any help?

Rob

Quote:
> I'm making a db for a DJ and I'm having some normalization problems.  My
> problem is I'm trying to make each of his disks unique and I don't know
how
> to do this with albums. In other words a disk may not be an album, it
could
> be a compilation with tracks from a bunch of different albums and may
occur
> more thatn once on different disks.  If this were not the case this would
be
> easy.

> here are my tables...

> Artist table
> tblArtistID*
> tblArtistName

> Title Table
> tblTitleID*

> tblTitleName

> Album Table
> tblAlbumID*
> tblAlbumTitle
> tblAlbumYear

> Disk Table
> tblDiskID*
> tblDiskTitle
> tblDiskType (this would be either a compilation or complete album)
> tblDiskStyle (blues, rock, etc.)

> Thanks!!!

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:19:44 GMT
 RBDM problems
that totally helps, thanks Rob!!!

my subject should have been RDBM by the way...duh

Quote:
> Hi John, I guess that as with many of these things there'll be more than
one
> way to handle it, but I'd probably have an artist table, a track (or song)
> table and a disc table. The artist and disc tables would contain specific
> info such as ID and name, while the track table would contain not just
> specific track details, but all the cross-references (ie to the artist and
> the disc) that would hold the db together.

> That way, albums are no problem because they'd simply be discs with more
> tracks cross-referenced against them. Plus, you could locate any track,
list
> all music by any artist, list all the tracks on a disc, etc. I don't think
> you could get more normalised than that.

> Any help?

> Rob

> > I'm making a db for a DJ and I'm having some normalization problems.  My
> > problem is I'm trying to make each of his disks unique and I don't know
> how
> > to do this with albums. In other words a disk may not be an album, it
> could
> > be a compilation with tracks from a bunch of different albums and may
> occur
> > more thatn once on different disks.  If this were not the case this
would
> be
> > easy.

> > here are my tables...

> > Artist table
> > tblArtistID*
> > tblArtistName

> > Title Table
> > tblTitleID*

> > tblTitleName

> > Album Table
> > tblAlbumID*
> > tblAlbumTitle
> > tblAlbumYear

> > Disk Table
> > tblDiskID*
> > tblDiskTitle
> > tblDiskType (this would be either a compilation or complete album)
> > tblDiskStyle (blues, rock, etc.)

> > Thanks!!!

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:32:16 GMT

1. problems problems problems

2. Problems, Problems, Problems.....

3. Problem!Problem!Grid Problem!

4. Problems, problems, problems...

5. The 3048-Problem - Please, MS FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

6. Mask for dates problem; Save failed problem

7. Bookmark problem partly solved, but I got another problem

8. VSA - MethodInfo.Invoke Problem/Reflection Problem

9. Instalation Problem + Class problem (automation) (VB+Access)

10. datagrid problem or SQL problem?

11. Drop and Drag Problem and Deployment Problem in VB 50 Enterprise

12. OLE DROP AND DRAG PROBLEM AND DEPLOYMENT PROBLEM