Binary Data File?
Author Message
 Binary Data File?

Hi all!
I am writing an application that reads and writes data to a file. But I would
like to make that file readable only to my application and not to anyone with a
text editor.  I keep hearing of a binary data file, but have been unsuccessful
in finding any information on how to create such an animal.  I have only found
information on reading and writing to files with a binary access method, but
the data in the file is still readable from a text editor.  I thought about
using a database format, but am wondering if that would significantly add to
the size of the datafile (I am trying to keep the app as tight as possible).

I am also looking for information on how to write a POP(3) mail client or if
there are vbx's available for this.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dean

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Binary Data File?
Hi Dean,

DB>I am writing an application that reads and writes data to a file. But I woul
DB>like to make that file readable only to my application and not to anyone wit
DB>text editor.  I keep hearing of a binary data file, but have been unsuccessf

The best way to do this is to encrypt the data in the file, a simple
method would be using a passaword and XOR.

I you want a sub to do that send me an email

Best regards,

---
 t OLX 2.2 t The trouble with political jokes is, they get elect

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Write ADO Field containing binary data (files) to the file system

2. Binary Data Files

3. Binary data files - are these "secure"?

4. Binary Data File?

6. Any way I can create/read/write Binary Data Files for saving data via VB without using Any Database Engine or Access Database ?

7. How to put large binary data files into a DB via ODBC ?

8. Binary Data in SQL 2000/Conver to Bitmap Data For Data Grid View

9. Write image data as binary to append existing file

10. Write data in binary file / Convert Image

11. Moving Binary Data between files fast!

12. Moving Binary data between files quickly.