fundamental question on the difficulty creating a simple database in VB
Author Message
 fundamental question on the difficulty creating a simple database in VB

Hello-

I am a university student & I would like to create a database in VB.
My programming experience are university courses in C, C++, Cobol
(yeah I know), and Pascal.  Also, I have been working in the VBA world
with a simple Excel database that suits my needs.

This database is for work, & it is working nicely in Excel.  However,
I very much would like to tackle the task of creating it in VB so it
can be standalone.

I would like to know how large of a task it would be as far as time.
I understand basic programming principles.

If nothing else please suggest a book which would you gents/ladies
hold in high regard for those new to VB.  (I picked up Wrox's
_Beginning Visual Basic_ only because I used their _Beginning Visual
C++_ so much in my class.  So far I haven't formed a positive opinion
on the book, but that may change.)

Thanks again & please offer your thoughts-

Brehm

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:15:08 GMT
 fundamental question on the difficulty creating a simple database in VB
well i have purchased 12 books in the last year in my quest to master VB and
i have used all of them collectively.  They all serve their purpose for the
moment that they are needed.  However, my biggest source of information has
been the abundance of sample code that is provided on the web.  If you go to
www.dogpile.com and search on vb source code, you will fiond a great amount
of websites.  once their type the type of database connection you want to
use DAO, ADO, RDO and follow the links.  I would try
www.planet-source-code.com first then maybe www.a1vbcode.com next.  After
spending alot of money to understand the basics of visual basic through the
books, i found that sample code can be deciphered relatively easily.  Good
luck and i hope that this helps
Heath

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:26:54 GMT
 fundamental question on the difficulty creating a simple database in VB
I have transferred an existing DB to a VB system and I found the most time
was taken fiddling with stupid things (as you are proably aware....all the
simple things take the longest).  Once this little thing was solved,
mountains of code fell into the program until the next hurdle - and so on.

Quote:
> Hello-

> I am a university student & I would like to create a database in VB.
> My programming experience are university courses in C, C++, Cobol
> (yeah I know), and Pascal.  Also, I have been working in the VBA world
> with a simple Excel database that suits my needs.

> This database is for work, & it is working nicely in Excel.  However,
> I very much would like to tackle the task of creating it in VB so it
> can be standalone.

> I would like to know how large of a task it would be as far as time.
> I understand basic programming principles.

> If nothing else please suggest a book which would you gents/ladies
> hold in high regard for those new to VB.  (I picked up Wrox's
> _Beginning Visual Basic_ only because I used their _Beginning Visual
> C++_ so much in my class.  So far I haven't formed a positive opinion
> on the book, but that may change.)

> Thanks again & please offer your thoughts-

> Brehm

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:18:17 GMT

1. Simple but Fundamental questions about VBAxl/VB interfacing

2. A question regarding the fundamentals of relational databases.

3. Difficulties with Access Database in VB 6.0

4. simple VB/ASP database question

5. Simple questions on VB database and App. setup

6. NEWBIE Question: VB/SQL 7 simple database - school assignment

7. Fundamental Newbie Question

8. ASP & vbscript - please answer a fundamental question

9. dumb question - fundamentals of client-side vs server-side vbscript

10. ActiveX Documents Fundamental Question

11. Simple Question: Assigning Icon to an App : Simple Question

12. Newbie Question - Can VB 5 (Learning) Create An Access Database On the Fly