Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows
Author Message
 Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows

Hello,

We are to develop a cross platform application that should be capable to
serve at maximum 5 users.
Is there a solution without an expensive, overkill backend like MS SQL
Server or Oracle?

Does anyone has some experiences with FileMaker?

At last, is it feasible to develop (and maintain!) an application that on
Mac works with eg XBase files (.dbf) and on the Win platform with another
(FileMaker?) database backend, without having different code?

Tnx in advance, and a nice wekend to all of you

--

Martin DELEU
bvba De & C

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:24:51 GMT
 Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows
Multi User - Multi Platform

Those are usually expensive words...  I use FoxBase +/mac for multi-user
databases programs way easier than most languages - but I haven't done
multi-platform work (but it IS cross-platform compatible)  The only
downside is FoxBase hasn't been sold in about 10 years (though it still
runs fine in OS9.1!).

Have you looked into Panorama, they look interesting are multi-user and cross-platform...

Quote:

> Hello,

> We are to develop a cross platform application that should be capable to
> serve at maximum 5 users.
> Is there a solution without an expensive, overkill backend like MS SQL
> Server or Oracle?

> Does anyone has some experiences with FileMaker?

> At last, is it feasible to develop (and maintain!) an application that on
> Mac works with eg XBase files (.dbf) and on the Win platform with another
> (FileMaker?) database backend, without having different code?

> Tnx in advance, and a nice wekend to all of you

--
01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 01001111 01000100 01001111 01010010 01000101
   Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS  (209) 754-1363

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:53:32 GMT
 Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows

Quote:
> Hello,

> We are to develop a cross platform application that should be capable to
> serve at maximum 5 users.
> Is there a solution without an expensive, overkill backend like MS SQL
> Server or Oracle?

> Does anyone has some experiences with FileMaker?

> At last, is it feasible to develop (and maintain!) an application that on
> Mac works with eg XBase files (.dbf) and on the Win platform with another
> (FileMaker?) database backend, without having different code?

I'd say FileMaker Pro is would be the best solution. Although if you use
RealBasic to create the front end, any ODBC database should do.

FileMaker Pro is available on all the platforms you mentioned and can handle
5 or 50 users.

If you find the GUI tools don't meet your needs, use RB to create your front
end. Or use it's built in web server capabilities.

Try posting this to a FileMaker Pro group and you'll get some very positive

Cheers,
--

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:11:03 GMT

1. Max number of users for tps database

2. Multi user interface - picking user and work directory !

3. Multi-User non Client/Server database

4. Multi-user Database for Win95

5. multi user application

6. Multi-User Enabled Application

7. Testing Multi user Applications

8. VisualAge users VisualAge users VisualAge users.

9. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

10. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

11. Multi-tasking and Multi-user